Chapter 2: Callahan Rosier

Night
Delinquent

"Cars?"

Everyone was knocked out except for us. Alex's loud snore made sure of that. Earlier, my brain had these killer scenarios regarding past events of my life. Imagining my 'what-ifs' and other alternate endings.

"Yeah?"

"I still don't get it you know."

"About what?" His frosty blue irises gave me a quick glance from the rearview mirror.

"This banquet or whatever fancy shit you wanna call it."

"It's simple. We go, we eat, we go home," he shrugged and stepped on the pedal, increasing our speed. "You don't have to socialize if you're not interested. I'll make sure of that."

"No- it's not that," I turned my head to scan over the blurred trees outside. "I know this isn't some family gathering. It's not a wedding either. Isn't this just dinner with strangers? Like a LOT of them?"

"I wouldn't exactly put it that way."

His answer came out rushed. Carson was always bad when it comes to lying.

"You're hiding something from me," I finally smirked. "Come on. Spill it."

"They're not exactly strangers, Bee. You'll see familiar faces. I know for a fact that my sister will be there."

"Corrine's coming? So you're saying that we're having dinner with family friends??" The thought of seeing everyone in a small reunion sparked up my interest.

"Yeah pretty much."

"Then why didn't you say so?!" I replied him with a 'duh' look on my face.

"Don't worry, Bee. We'll be sitting at the kids table," Theo's voice joined our short conversation.

"Ooh will there be spiked caprisuns?" I teased as the car stopped in the middle of nowhere.

Outside, it was pitch black. The car's headlights were the only thing that was bright enough to emit a faint light against the surrounding darkness. Goosebumps were forming on the back of my neck as Carson lowered his window down.

"W-why are we stopping?" Uneasiness surged over me as I nudged Alex, trying to wake him up from his slumber.

"What?" He blinked, trying to adjust to his surroundings. Alex took a deep breath and suddenly, his face was alerted. "Beta- no, I mean Cars, they're here."

"Brooke," Carson used my full name as he turned around to face me. "Stay in the car. Whatever you see, just stay in the car."

"Wait- wait! Where are you going? I-" he stepped out of the vehicle and jogged towards the tree line.

"Everything's gonna be fine. Alex will keep you company," Theo gave me a reassuring smile before following Carson through the thick tree line.

In seconds, both of them disappeared.

"What's going on?" I turned to Alex who just sat there chewing a pack of gummy bears.