Chapter 9: Deirdre Lascelles

Night
Delinquent

"Fair child."

I looked around, but couldn't see anything.

"Yes, you."

Perplexed, I was standing in an empty space. Darkness engulfed me with its frail shroud — removing my ability to see. Even the index finger that I pop right in front of my eyes only radiated warmth. Echoes of said anonymous voice seemed to bounce off seamlessly from these invincible barriers.

"Who are you?" I rubbed my arms to prevent the coldness from piercing through my bones. At first, this place was decently warm, but suddenly, the temperature dropped.

"I am you," the voice was that of a woman's. I was pretty sure of it. "The real you."

"Why would I dream of talking with myself? I know I'm not crazy yet!" I whipped my head around in an attempt to search the owner of that voice, but to no avail. My efforts were fruitless.

Then somehow, miraculously, a small flame appeared a few steps ahead of me. It swished around and grew bigger until it was the size of a bowling ball.

Squinting my eyes in disbelief, I saw a massive grey wolf making its way towards the flame. With every step forward, I took a step back. Fear was evident in my eyes for I would hate to be mauled to death by some rabid dog.

"Do not be afraid, child," the wolf stopped right beside the roaring flame. The orange hue illuminated its coarse grey fur, adding a brilliant spark on its amber eyes. "Our encounter had been postponed far too long."

"Wait, don't tell me-"

"Lascelles was my previous blood for I am blessed to retain the name Deidre in this lifetime," she introduced herself and laid down on all fours whilst still keeping her head up. "And yes, I am who you think I am."

Deidre? Why does it ring a bell?

"A talking wolf? You've got to be kidding me," I snorted. "Look, I know that this werewolf crap owned my last two surviving brain cells, but this? THIS is some next level delulu stuff!"

"It appears that manners are in a dire state of lack these days," she sighed, shaking her head disapprovingly. Eyes filled with distant memories.

"Excuse me?"

"Young people. Always thinking they know everything and disrespect the olden days," her chuckles were graceful, unlike anyone I've ever heard. "Your blood is bound to these old traditions, child. Failing to fulfil it will result in your imminent death."

"Consequences be damned! You're speaking in riddles. My brain is too fried to be dealing with additional nonsense!"

"Such arrogance," she tsked. "You, my child, are neither a delta nor an omega. Yes, you do possess the willpower to become a gamma warrior if given a chance, but your soul has a different purpose."

I pursed my lips, refusing to hear bullshit sprouting from a talking animal.

"Over the years, I have been observing you through these mental walls. That heirloom of yours prevented our interaction from occurring. You have met your mate, haven't you, child?"