Chapter 3: Unspoken Red Tension

Night
Delinquent

Third person's POV

Heavy footsteps thudded, resulting in a line of soft creaks along the wooden tiles as a man stormed outside in an attempt to cool himself. Eventually they came into a halt on an empty front porch that created the much needed space while cold breeze soothed his boiling emotions. Cal was a huge mess. His feelings were fogged, because everything came tumbling down too fast. Happiness, pride, anxiety, disappointment, and anger swirled into one huge catastrophe. For the first time in his life, Callahan Rosier didn't know what to do — how to react. He simply felt crazy.

And the man himself was notorious for being crazy. So imagine a crazy person realizing how crazy he really was.

It was chaotic.

His two loyal companions followed him close by. They were unsure of his reactions. Scared their unpredictable Alpha would shut everything down, because once he did, another tragedy would suffice.

'Alpha, calm down. She's not rejecting you,' Carson communicated through the mind-link.

Members of a werewolf pack can communicate through this special bond called 'the mind-link'. It enables their minds to reach out towards other pack members whenever and wherever they might be.

'Did you not see her turning her back against me, Beta Carson?' Cal leaned onto a nearby wall. Long slender fingers were tracing his stubbled jawline. An old habit he picked up whenever he's pissed.

His lips let out a frustrated laugh. A laugh that was dripping in malicious venom. He was simply trying to mask his aching heart. 'I've searched my mate for years now — and once I found her, she turned her back on me. Tell me, Carson. How am I supposed to react?'

Carson knew his friend was a special case. Her wolf was pure blooded, since the Clemontes were known as the only werewolf family whose blood remained pure for the past three thousand years.

'She's twenty one for fucks sake. She hasn't gone through her transformation yet. How was she supposed to know, Cal?'

'Females are supposed to transform by the age of 20. Are you telling me my mate is a late bloomer, Beta Carson?' His voice changed into a harsher, more primal version of him whenever he thought someone was insulting his other half.

'I apologize for interrupting, Alpha,' Theo lowered his gaze. 'She's a Clemonte.'

That name alone was enough to subside his disappointment. It changed his perspective towards her. Everyone knew the Clemontes had a son who was going to be their next alpha after Gerard steps down.

But a daughter?

The Clemonte bloodline created sons, not daughters.

Now that's a surprise.

'How come I'm not aware of this?' His voice reverted back to its accented smooth baritone state. 'That doesn't explain why I can't smell her scent.'

'Their heirloom. The wolfsbane infused necklace. It hides her wolf,' Theo began to look up. Avoiding his alpha's dominating gaze. 'My friend will experience her transformation on her twenty second birthday. Which will be in less than a week from now.'