Chapter 3 Hecate

The waves lapped gently at the shore. I tapped my feet in rhythm as I stared across the beach. Two seagulls stood on a large rock and stared at me. They stood about four inches apart. Their white heads flicked back and fourth listening. Willow cocked her head but remained perched on the log next to me.

I looked across the ocean towards Van. I had been there twice that I could remember; once on my seventh birthday for the satisfaction guarantee policy complementary testing and again three weeks later to obtain the results.

 I could still picture the dark cement walls of the GEC testing center which stood higher than every other building on the block, as well as the tiny café next door where Samantha had taken me for ice-cream. It had bright wooden paneling which stood out against the grey and a sign that read "Kitty's" in welcomingly crooked lettering. Both the walls and the floors inside were also decorated in wood.

Samantha had gone to order us each a chocolate ice-cream cone from the lady at the counter. 

"Did she pass?" the lady asked, smiling. She handed us each an ice-cream cone.

"Still waiting for the results," replied Samantha. "Though I think she is fine."

"Better safe than sorry," said the lady. "Wouldn't want any regrets later. My friend..." her voice trailed off. She smiled at me and I looked away. I had begun to lick the ice-cream, which was melting in the summer heat. 

The door had opened and a mother with two little girls who had been close to my age had entered. I had watched them out of the corner of my eye, still licking the ice-cream.

"Hello," said one of the girls. She stared at me until I looked down towards the floor.

"Aren't you going to say hi?" Samantha had asked, and I had remained silent. I could feel all eyes upon me as I continued to stare at the floor. "Well?" Samantha had said at last. Still, I remained silent. "She is just shy," she had chuckled. "Come on," she had then said to me, this time under her breath. She had taken my hand and had quickly lead me outside.

A small centipede like creature scuttled across the rocks before me. I reached out, trying to catch it, but it had already disappeared into the wet gravel. The seagulls were now laying on the same rock with their backs towards us. Willow was still eyeing them calmly. There were snails congregating on the rock. One of the seagulls picked one off, ruffled its wings, then continued to rest. 

I grabbed a stone from the ground beside me. It felt cold and smooth as I turned it in my hand. I looked at the gravel where the water pooled in the indent left by the rock. I took some gravel in my hand and dropped it one piece at a time. Willow pawed at my hand demandingly, then looked disappointed when I opened it to show her that it was only gravel.

I stood up, picked up Willow's lead, and headed towards the water. One of the seagulls took flight and landed on another large rock. This one was slightly smaller than the first. The other seagull stayed put. I could hear barnacles crunching beneath my feet and grimaced. I lifted the rock and watched as crabs scurried in every direction.

Willow began to paw at them excitedly. I pulled her away, then picked up one of the crabs. It sat shyly in my hand, staring up at me for a moment before scooting away and falling to the ground. Willow snapped at it as it disappeared beneath a rock. 

I shivered as a cool breeze passed over the water. I turned towards the highway. In the distance, the sun was beginning to set. Swirls of pink and purple danced across the clouds which were hovering over the mountains. I began to make my way across the stones.

As I reached the edge of the highway, I looked back towards the water. Both seagulls were gone. I looked across at the little boat dock which allowed access to Van. I could almost make out tiny dots of people climbing off and on sail boats and larger fishing vessels. I closed my eyes and listened to the soothing sound of the waves before turning towards the road leading to the place that was called home.