Prologue

River was a city situated on an island off the coast of British Columbia. It was divided into four villages which were separated by rivers. The villages were connected by suspension bridges; formed of steal and large enough to allow two logging trucks to pass in opposite directions. Such was a rare occurrence as forestry had long seized to be a primary industry in the area. The price of gasoline had greatly escalated since the decline of its abundance.

All practices in forestry had been abandoned years earlier. The government had forbidden the industry in the region. In their support, they merely pointed out the state of the village of Green, which had acquired its name to override the fact that scarcely any vegetation native to the area remained. Occasionally, it was suspected that the fishing industry would meet a similar fate. The ocean's abundance had certainly declined, despite the instatement of farms to lessen society's impact. Farming entailed cloning evolutionarily outdated organisms in mass quantities and releasing them to sea in hopes that a few would survive the high temperatures. Cloning was used in lieu of artificial selection; most of the organisms once fit for human consumption had evolved in ways which eliminated them from being a viable food source. None of this had grave impact on the economy. As one industry phased out, at least a dozen more would migrate over, taking its place.

Decades earlier, scientists had pieced together everything anyone had ever learned regarding genetics –not that they were the first to do this. They had taken the technology used to map the genome and had reversed its result. This gave them the ability, not only of manipulating the genetic makeup present in a human zygote, but of tracking it through development. They were able to influence the behavior of individual and linked genes. They could generate an entire genetic sequence, dictate splicing, and understand the effect it would have on the phenotype.

The technology was patented as Joy Maker, ltd. and franchised off to top universities claiming they aspired to provide the highest level of education possible. In reality, they only wanted to increase their profit. A shop stood in each of the four villages. Each sported a sign reading:

Joy Maker, ltd.

Brighten your life with designer children

Van was the first village in which a Joy Maker, ltd stood. It was run by a fourth year student called Evelin Dash, and her assistant Collin Clay. Due to Dash's excellent merchant skills, the shop became and remained the most successful in the area. Some couples would take their boats across with the intention of coming home with a Genetically Engineered Child (GEC). On the way to the dock, they would walk past their own village's shop. Briefly they would wonder why they were bothering to cross. As they reached the dock, they would tell themselves that the shop in Van was most definitely better. Why else would it be so successful?

***

Even couples who were dead set against GECs would find themselves considering one after a long but simple chat with Dash.

Such an occurrence was never premeditated. The couple might be venturing around Van during a supply run, or even a rare recreational daytrip. Such had been the case with Samantha and Ferdinand Shade. They had walked past the shop with its telltale neon sign, exchanging glances and shaking their heads. Seemingly out of nowhere, a plump woman dressed in blue overalls with a loose floral blouse underneath, appeared. "Hello, hello" she chimed in a voice that was both friendly and compelling, but professional. She looked straight at Samantha, smiling, as she walked towards them. "I am Miss Evelin Dash," she announced, and shook their hands vigorously. "Come along, come along." She dragged them towards the wooden door. Too taken aback to know what to say, the couple complied.

Soon, they were being told a basic history of Joy Maker, ltd, and about how much the project would contribute to society. The monologue was only pros. No risks were listed among them and no complaints mentioned. The only downfall seemed to be the price; one designer child would cost a minimum of twenty grand. This was more money than the Shades had ever seen. They thanked Dash, and headed for the door.

As they were leaving, she called to them once more, "Your child could have all the chances in the world." She did not sound desperate, simply matter of fact. "I will admit, children made naturally are often wonderful. And they are also just as often born with various mental and physical defects."

"We will take care of whatever god gives us, as is our responsibility" Declared Ferdinand.

"Think about the torment they would have to endure from the public. At school. And later on at work, if they even manage to find a job." That being said, Dash silenced, having realized that the argument was going nowhere. She handed him a business card, which he absentmindedly handed to his wife. "It is ultimately your decision and I respect that. I apologize for getting carried away." She eyed Ferdinand coolly. He had turned to walk once again down the street.

Samantha, who had been examining her shoes looked up to face Dash. "We simply cannot afford it," she said politely, not quite meeting her stare. She followed Ferdinand.

"I may have a solution," said Dash, handing her a pamphlet. It read Welcome to the JoyMaker Military Development project. Brighten your life and our country. Samantha tucked it into her pocket along with the card.

Samantha pulled out the  business card when they entered a small café about a block away. Ferdinand sat at the table in the corner, far away from the door. He motioned for her to sit down in the seat across from him.

The waitress approached the table. "What can I get you to drink?"

"Two waters," said Ferdinand. "And we will take whatever is on special."

"Tomato soup." She scribbled on her notepad and hurried on to the next table.

Ferdinand turned to Samantha. "Put that away."

She looked up from the business card. She had been rolling it around between her fingers, and examining it.

Miss Evelin Dash

Joy Maker, ltd

Van, River, BC

We can make a difference!

In the background, a couple beamed proudly at the boy perched on their laps. He appeared to be two or three. He smiled, and stared into the distance. An expression of awe painted his features.

They are our Future was printed in bold italics across the bottom of the card. Beneath that was a phone number: 250-923-2474

Samantha set her purse on the table. It was made out of brown canvas and had beads sewn on in random places. It had been worn when she had purchased it at a thrift store several years earlier. Now, it appeared as though she had sewn together dish rags. The seams had loosened and in places no longer held. Threads which had once fastened beads hung lifelessly. Ragged holes spotted the sides, gradually growing where directed by time's hand.

Gingerly, she lifted the flap and loosened the drawstring. She reached into it in search of her wallet and pulled out a wrinkled photograph. It featured a three year old girl dressed in a white gown, laying in a hospital bed. Tubes ran from her nose, and her face was as pale as the wall behind her. Her dark brown hair hung lifelessly in braids. Her mouth was curved into a little smile, and she hugged a teddy bear.

Samantha stifled a sob. She hastily shoved the picture back into her purse, along with it, the business card.

Ferdinand drummed his fingers in annoyance, and sniffed. He looked up from the paper he had been reading and said to his wife, "slow." He nodded in the direction of the wooden door labeled kitchen. A few minutes later, the waitress came back with their water. She apologized for the wait and promised that their meals would be ready shortly.

That night, they lay side by side in the king sized bed of the motel room. They sipped the wine Ferdinand had purchased at the market and were silent.

"Do you think...?" Samantha said. She reached into her purse, which was laying on the nightstand beside her, and showed him the picture.

"In time, dear," he said. He removed his shirt and grabbed a condom off of the nightstand.

Samantha held the picture tight to her breast.