Chapter 32 2215

I grabbed my parka and the notebook from the seat and then stepped out of the helicopter onto the frozen ground. I had had no choice but to land. The gas gauge had read near zero and the engine had threatened to cut out. I had not gotten as far away as I had wanted and there was still no sign of the resistance camp. But at least I had gotten off of the island and away from the base.

They would come looking, and soon, I thought as I looked around. I was surprised that they had not followed me all ready. Too easy... 

I decided that it would be necessary to distance myself from the helicopter, but that I should first check it for any supplies. I put the parka on and tucked the journal into the pocket. I then crouched down next to the helicopter to peer beneath the seat. Nothing.

I walked around to the other side. This time I found a small first aide kit as well as a plastic bag containing matches and a compus. There was a map of Canada as well. I went to leave, but then I noticed what appeared to be a storage compartment near the back of the helicopter. The latch was rusty and difficult but I managed to pry it open.

Inside, I found a rope, and small backpack containing more supplies including a plastic bottle full of water,  and several packets which appeared to be food. I gathered the supplies and set them on the ground. I then began to stuff it all into the backpack. I knew that they were for in case of an emergency should there be a crash, however something told me it was more than that. The entire thing had been too easy. As I stuffed the last of the supplies in the backpack and began walking west, an unsettling feeling clung to me.

                                                                                               ***

The ground seemed to tip with each step, and I felt as though I may be floating. I wondered vaguely if this was reality, and tried to shake away the overwhelming feeling that it was not. Reality was not a concrete entity, but merely the result of mutual beliefs derived from similar perceptions. At times it seemed as though the world was merely sand clumped together on a warm beach. Slowly flaking away as it dried under the hot sun. Sometimes I thought it may simply wash away, or unravel like the edges of a fraying rag.

I took a sparing sip of my water, trying to break through the haziness that surrounded me as the moments ticked on. Above me I could see the stars peering through the unmarred sky. Ahead, the full moon rose gradually to join them. It stared at me bleakly though its empty sockets, and I met its gaze. I tripped and fell backwards. The water spilled over the front of my blouse. I stayed seated where I fell, and ran my hands against the ground. I traced beads of mud, and tangled my fingers in a few strands of tundra. My fingers came to rest on some object, and I absently dug it out of the soil. I rolled it around between my fingers, continuing to stare at the gaping moon.

Above me,  a helicopter made its search. They had indeed come looking. It was closer now. And as the light washed over my face, I knew I would be facing certain death. For a slight moment I cursed myself for having not hidden. But in this barren landscape there was no place to hide. To my relief, it was soon gone. Perhaps I had no more than imagined it.

Suddenly, my mind felt heavy. I wondered vaguely whether the helicopter would return for me –when it would return for me. Then decided that it did not matter.

I laid down on the frozen ground.

But maybe it had never been after me at all...

I shivered.

And I slept.