Chapter 7 Hecate

My mind raced as I peered across the dark water. I could still hear Samantha's voice ringing in my mind as I had run from the house, away with my racing thoughts.

There had been two...

Did this mean I was not alone?

Well, I knew I was not the only one. Many people had purchased genetically engineered children over the years. But this was different.

A sister...

Although Rowan and Joel were considered my brothers in name, I would never be one of them. But with her... She must be like me...

And Samantha and Ferdinand had given her up...

So she could fight in the war.

What makes World War 3 different than the other wars? I remembered the teacher saying. I had already known. It was not some new weapon or strategy. It was the use of GECs. No longer would human lives be spent at the war. Instead it would be fought by soldiers who had been genetically engineered to fulfil that purpose, and had been trained since birth to do so. No more would people lose their lives. Instead, it would be GECs, which were made by people, looked like people and could often do anything a person could do. The only difference between GECs and normal children was that a GEC was merely a product. And like any other product such as toothpaste or toilet paper, GECs were also disposable.

Suddenly, the image of the little boy that had stuck with me for years appeared in my mind. He was on the hospital bed, propped up against a pillow. His mother was standing in the doorway that lead to the lobby, clutching her other child by the hand. She smiled at him sweetly. "And soon it will be over," she crooned. "Soon it will be over, and you will come home a normal little boy; a perfect little boy. The doctors will make you all better."

The boy remained expressionless, and stared at her through wide uncomprehending eyes. But as she turned to leave, he reached out towards her, still not making a sound. His mother never looked back.

As the door closed, the nurse continued towards the door sporting the bright yellow bio-hazard sign, wheeling the little boy along with her. Once she stopped to fiddle with the child's IV.

"It's okay," she said. "Your mommy is right. Soon it will all be over. You will not remember a thing. You can go home to your mommy and brother again. And it will be as though our little mistake never happened.

"Shame." she said to herself as she pushed the bed over the threshold. "Only two genes off this time. Just a shame." She began to hum as she disappeared into the bio-hazard room.

A bird called, bringing me back to the present. A few thin clouds shielded the stars but allowed the crescent moon to peer through. The gentle waves caressed the shore, and a cold breeze rolled over the water. The air was damp and smelled of salt and fermenting seaweed.

I should light a fire, I thought, and wished I had matches. Instead, I just pulled my jacket tighter and began to rock slightly as I stared into the darkness. The bird called again, and I was unable to identify it.

 For a moment, I wondered what she was doing, and shivered as I thought of the footage that was often seen on the news.

What would life be like had Samantha kept us both?

But she was not hers to keep...

But what if....

I envisioned Joe and Rowan, always playing outside. And...

It had been an accident...

There may have been a mix up.

I should be the one being blown up at the border...

I shuddered.

What would life have been like?  Why was she sent away, while I was kept. Why had my twin been sent away while Joe and Rowan had each other?