Chapter 6 2215

I walked towards the runway, where an aeroplane carrying supplies was just finishing its landing. "Numbers, remember that stealing is a highly punishable crime" warned the automated voice on the intercom.

I walked to where a group of the other numbers were standing, silently, staring at the ground in front of them as though they were oblivious to each others presence. A few of them looked up. Their faces were expressionless, devoid of any emotion. They were not much older than me. But they were closer to fighting for their country at the border.

"Stealing is a highly punishable offense." said the automated voice on the intercom.

The aeroplane finished landing, and the Numbers began to form a line leading up to it. Two directors stood near the front, ensuring that we did not get too close to the aeroplane. They began handing boxes to the Numbers at the front of the line. After receiving a box, each Number was to proceed towards Home, where more Directors would be waiting to receive the boxes. They would be stacked neatly onto pallets, decided based on their contents.

"Numbers, remember that stealing is a highly punishable offense."

Some boxes would carry food. Others would carry fuel, gasoline, guns, soap, uniforms, bullets, blankets, explosives, cups, plates, chemicals, grenades, etc. Occasionally, a Number would drop one of these boxes, causing an explosion and death to those standing near. Other times, cans of food would simply topple out, noticed by a director, or reported by another Number hoping to gain some priority. And the Number would be publicly ridiculed, then locked away in the infirmary for a time proportional to the amount that had been dropped. They couldn't have us showing such negligence at the border.

"Numbers, remember that stealing is a highly punishable offense."

My hand in the pockets of my tattered parka, I crossed my fingers as my turn came nearer.

"Sign your number here," said the director.

2215, I wrote, and was handed a rectangular box. I made my way quickly from the runway, careful not to be too close to the other Numbers, yet careful to blend in.

"Numbers, remember that stealing is a highly punishable offense."

I tucked the box under one arm, opening it slightly with the other hand so I could peak in. Chocolate bars! They would be divided among the Directors, a few may be saved for the kitchen staff and maintenance people. Never for the Numbers. We were not to expect treats at the border. Carefully, I reached my hand into the box; not before checking to make sure I was not being observed.

"Numbers, remember that stealing is a highly punishable offense."

My mind wandered.

"Here, try it," he said. I did

Never before had I tasted something so rich and sweet. I savoured it, allowing it to disolve slowly in my mouth.

"Good, isn't it," he asked. I nodded. He placed his finger on his lips and I understood. "Don't look so worried." he laughed.

"What would happen... if they found out?" I whispered.

"Its only one," he replied softly. "They won't miss just one"

They didn't.

And they wouldn't now, eight years later.

"Stealing is a highly punishable offense."

I slipped the chocolate bar into my bra, knowing they may check my pockets. Sometimes it was chocolate, sometimes it was crackers, sometimes it was fruit, or vegetables, or candies. Sometimes it wasn't anything; cans were too bulky, meat would need to be cooked, explosives would surely be accounted for.

Shipments would come in on the 5th of each month. And the morning's Work would be cancelled; or merely substituted. Instead of bricks it was boxes.

"Stealing is a highly punishable crime."

The tinfoil wrapping of the chocolate bar felt cool against my breast. I could feel it digging into me slightly. I hoped that it wouldn't show through my parka.

They won't miss just one.

I handed the box to the Director. "Sign here," he said. My heartbeat quickened as he peered inside. I signed the form, and he placed the box on the pallet along with the others. "Proceed to morning Lesson," he told me, before turning to the next Number.

"Remember Numbers, stealing is a highly punishable offense," said the automated voice in the distance.