Chapter 3

The weekend was horribly long and boring with Carina practically sprinting around Lily's mind the entire time, making her anxiously wait around the house until Monday rolls around again. Which, in reality, isn't too far from what happens every single weekend. Even before Lily found out that it was Carina, she would still always be wondering about who it could've been and she would still try to find ways to occupy her mind and time until Monday morning when she would rush into class to receive a new letter. But now that she knows that the girl on the opposite end is actually a person with a beautiful face, captivating smile, long and dark hair, and eyes that she feels she could melt into, things seem so much more real because Carina is actually real.

Lily's still so surprised at how gentle the smaller girl was after their literal collision with each other. She wasn't upset or freaked out by Lily's impulsive forwardness at all. In fact, she seemed almost ... flattered by it? She was blushing so hard underneath Lily's touch and her damn grin was so genuine and adorable. And the whole "I'll see you around" thing followed by a soft squeeze on the arm put Lily in the brightest mood ever the rest of the day.

And Naomi, being the best friend ever, did actually speak to Amanda a little bit over the weekend and Naomi and Desi met up at Lily's house to discuss anything she was able to find out. However, Lily explicitly asked not to be all suspicious and intrusive and invasive about anything. After all, she knows how horrible it feels to have people know information about you that you didn't specifically tell them yourself and she also didn't want to make it obvious that Carina had a secret admirer.

"So I made sure to be polite and friendly while I was texting Amanda about Carina," Naomi began to say Sunday evening as they all gathered around on Lily's bed, "and just asked her some simple questions like how she knew Carina and how she is as a person and stuff. I didn't want to come off as rude and creepy if I suddenly started demanding birthday, height, and whether she preferred using a tampon or a pad-"

"-Naomi!" Lily laughed out loud. "What the hell, dude!"

"It's for emphasis , Lily, as if I was really going to ask that," Naomi rolled her eyes. "Anyways, I found out that Carina and Amanda have been friends since practically the womb and, although she's biased as hell, Amanda said that Carina is 'one of the best people she's ever been privileged to know' and that she's 'shy, but once you get her to shed those protective and guarded layers off, then she's a complete joy and she's dorky and lame, but in the best way possible and it's impossible not to love her.'"

Desi slapped Lily on the back (rather roughly) and exclaimed, "Attagirl! I'm liking her already."

Lily groaned a bit against Desi's impact but smiled though the pain nevertheless. "Did you ask her whether Carina preferred boys or girls or...?"

Naomi shook her head. "No, I didn't, sorry. I felt like that definitely would've made it seem a little sketchy, you know? And I remember you asking me not to make anything obvious. She is single, however, so you can subtly flirt your little tail off with her without worrying about anyone else's eyes lurking over your shoulder."

Lily scooted over to hug her best friend. "I love you," she said, arms wrapped tightly around Naomi's neck. "Thank you for helping."

Naomi grinned as she returned the embrace. "Of course! Let's be real, Desi and I have been waiting for you to get a girlfriend for a long time now but the girl that you tried dating a couple of years ago just irked me in so many ways. I think you were on drugs the entire time."

Lily threw a palm up to her forehead and winced, remembering what a horrible mistake that was. "Ugh, Cassidy was kind of a mess wasn't she? Looking back, I have no idea what I was thinking either. I mean, it was the first year of high school and there were a lot of new people that I've never met before and the excitement of finally meeting another gay girl kind of blinded my standards."