Chapter 19

"Lily, don't be stupid," Carina scolds, crossing her arms over her chest as she stands in front of her girlfriend. "You are literally getting sunburnt by the minute and I refuse to allow you to stay out here any longer."

"But Carinaaaa ," Lily whines, pursing her lips and stomping her foot down defiantly, forming a small hole in the sand. She's easily one of the most stubborn people alive. "I want to stay here at the beach."

Carina sighs, bringing her hands up to cup Lily's red, wet, and pouty face. "You. Are. Going. To. Get. Burnt. We can go back out later tonight when the sun isn't as strong anymore, but as of right now, you and I are going to march back up to the hotel because I'm pretty sure that if your skin could talk, they would go, 'help me I'm burning!'" she says, feigning a weird and high-pitched voice. She has no idea what skin would sound like, but she just imagined that that was how it would sound if they could speak.

That stupid little voice made Lily crack a tiny smile. And that was not the only thing that cracked. "Okay fine!" the older girl relents, throwing her arms up in defeat. "Fine. I will go back up to the hotel with you as long as you promise me that we can go back out there later this evening."

Carina smiles, very much satisfied with finally getting Lily to comply after god knows how long of constant pestering. She holds her pinky up for Lily, who doesn't even hesitate to link it with hers. They refuse to ever make agreements without sealing it with pinky promises, otherwise it wouldn't be legit. Breaking pinky promises is quite possibly one of the worst things you could ever do.

They then easily interlace their fingers together as they walk down to the rest of their friends, who are still in the water and enjoying themselves. Carina smiles when she notices Lily watching them in envy.

"Hey, guys!" Carina shouts, trying to be heard over the loud ruckus of the other people around them and the strong pounding of the waves against the shore. The water just barely rises up and touches their toes.

Desi, Naomi, and Amanda's heads turn towards her. "What's up, dude?" Desi smiles widely, her hair in a wet and tangled mess. Sometimes Carina thinks of it as a mane more than hair.

"I have to take this child back up to the room now because she's seriously getting burnt as hell," Carina explains, pointing a finger at the still-pouting Lily. That only further strengthens her case of calling her a child. "We'll see you guys later when you come back up, okay?"

"Ha! What a loser!" Naomi mocks immaturely from the water, pointing a taunting finger at Lily. "You have to leave early because you're getting sunburnt!"

Lily flips her middle finger up at her friend, a hard scowl plastered on her face. If Carina didn't know any better, she would think that Lily was secretly trying to somehow make Naomi spontaneously burst into flames with her glare.

"Lily is like a 5-year-old who's getting picked up from her friend's house by her mom and she doesn't want to leave," Amanda giggles, the water reaching up her neck. Desi and Naomi are still well above the water. They better be keeping a careful eye on Amanda before she disappears under the water any second now.

Carina can't help but laugh at Lily's angry face. Her eyebrows knitted, her lip jutted out, her arms crossed over her chest, and little angry huffs of air comes out of her nose. "Let's go, Carina," Lily mutters in annoyance before spinning around on her heel and marching back up towards the hotel.

Carina waves at her friends before jogging after Lily. Once she gets near enough, she slips under her arm and stands back upright, forcing Lily's limb to hang loosely around her neck. "You know they're just messing with you, right?" Carina asks, placing an arm on her bare waist and using her free hand to reach up and interlace with Lily's fingers.