Chapter 14

"Don't say it," Carina threatens as she glares at Lily hard in the face.

"Please?" Lily begs with a smug and playful grin.

"No."

"Too bad because I'm going to say it anyways-"

"-Lily, I swear-"

"-I TOLD YOU SO," Lily exclaims, much to Carina's annoyance. "I told you that you were going to get sick and I told you that you were going to feel like crap and I told you that you shouldn't have kissed me but you did anyways and now look who's sick?"

When Carina didn't show up to school this morning, Lily knew exactly the reason why. She was already showing some symptoms of a cold and Lily didn't want to make it worse by kissing her, but being the little shit she is, Carina tricked her into it anyways. And now she's suffering the repercussions of it. She's definitely not doing a victory pump now.

Right before class began and Lily was sitting at her desk without her girlfriend in front of her, she was smiling to herself as she simply sent her a text.

LJ: feel better darling i'll come visit you after school today with a kiss, a box of tissues, soup, and a big fat I told you so :-)

Carina replied a few minutes later with:

CC: yay for the first part, nay for the last

So here Lily is now, tissues and soup on her bedside table and the kiss has yet to happen. With the scowl on Carina's face right now, she probably would tear her arms off if she gets close enough. Lily discretely takes a small step back. She would prefer to keep her limbs for a little while longer.

"I would say you're the worst, but that soup is really calling my name," Carina mutters under her breath, eyes glancing towards the container beside her.

Lily smiles brightly at her, fully appreciating how lucky she is to be able to call Carina hers. They have playful little arguments like these all the time where they purposefully annoy each other, but they both know that they wouldn't want to be with anyone else. They can be themselves, but they can also be each other's at the same time.

Lily rolls the chair from Carina's desk over beside her bed before she takes a seat. Carina sits herself up completely, back pressed against her headboard as Lily hands her the hot container of chicken noodle soup along with a spoon.

"Thank you," Carina says gratefully after she drinks a spoonful, the comforting and soothing warmth of the soup helping her throat. "You didn't have to come over and do this for me, but I really appreciate it nevertheless."

Lily places a hand on Carina's thigh over the blanket and she gives it a gentle squeeze. "Of course, love. Anything for you." She doesn't remove her hand. Instead, she drags her thumb over the blanket repeatedly along her thigh.

Carina blushes slightly as she leans over and lightly nudges her forehead against Lily's for a second before pulling back in a smile. "Did I miss anything at school today?" she asks before placing another spoonful of soup in her mouth.

Lily shakes her head. "No, nothing much. Desi and Naomi were worried about you and told me to tell you to feel better and Amanda and Trevor were getting a little flirty today too."

"I love Naomi and Desi," Carina chuckles. "They tease the hell out of me but I know they mean well. I've definitely gotten really comfortable with them. And, ugh, I will be bald by the time Amanda and Trevor make it official. They practically are a couple already, but I think they're afraid of labeling themselves as one."

"Why do you think that is?"

Carina shrugs after thinking for a moment. "Maybe because it makes things so much more real, you know? It's actual commitment and you're placing your heart and faith and trust into someone else. Though Amanda is the most loyal person I know and I would actually murder Trevor if he ever hurt her in any way, it still can be scary because you never know what could happen. Things are incredibly unpredictable and shit happens between people all the time.