Chapter 8

"Goodnight," Carina mumbles, sighing deeply and Lily can feel her warm breath seep past her shirt, hitting her chest.

"Goodnight," Lily replies, combing her fingers through Carina's soft, brown hair leisurely.

Carina fell asleep again almost instantly while Lily spends the rest of the night until the sun came up, wondering how she ever got so damn lucky.

--

"Lily, let's not do this again," Carina groans as she gently shakes the older girl's shoulders. "Come on. Wake up."

Lily grumbles and flips over on her stomach, burying her face in the pillow. "No. Let sleeping Lilys lie."

Carina lets out a small, defeated sigh. "Are you like this every morning? It's like you don't even sleep a wink at night."

Well, can't blame Lily for wanting to stay up all night and appreciate the moment of holding Carina in her arms as closely and as intimately as she was. If she fell asleep, it would've all been gone in a matter of what would feel like seconds. It's not every day she gets to hold Carina like that. She damn well wasn't going to take it for granted and let something like sleep prevent her from fully basking it in and appreciating the beautiful few hours of her slow and steady breathing hitting her chest, her soft snores, her warm arms and hands, her cold feet, her occasional mumbling, and the unconscious action of her sometimes snuggling up closer to Lily.

Like Aerosmith once graciously stated in their song, she doesn't want to miss a thing.

"How are you so energetic in the morning?" Lily asks, voice muffled by the pillow. "Please teach me your ways."

Carina laughs softly and melodiously. "It's because I slept really well last night, thanks to you."

Lily smiles into the pillow, butterflies stirring in her stomach. Carina definitely knows how to make a girl blush.

"But come on now, Lily, you have to get up," Carina adds firmly, taking a pillow and slamming it down onto Lily's body, who mutters like a grumpy old woman in response. "Don't make me pour water on your face again."

Lily rolls her eyes and forces herself to sit up. This girl is relentless and she wasn't going to give up anytime soon. She glares at Carina, who has a wide and prideful grin on her face. Lily also notices that her hair is damp and she's already wearing the clothes that Lily laid out for her last night. "Happy now?" Lily says sarcastically. "And when did you even wake up to shower?

"Very happy. And I tend to wake up pretty early just because." She then reaches over and pats down Lily's bedhead, which she's sure looks like a bird's nest. Desi and Naomi have reminded her far too many times whenever they sleep over at each other's houses. Apparently her hair in the morning scares them.

"Geez. And I thought I look rough in the morning."

Lily's jaw drops in offense and she squints her eyes at the younger girl. "Alright, Cabero, I'm giving you a five-second head start to run away before I come beat your ass."

All of the color in Carina's face washes away and pure horror is written across it. "Oh no."

"1 ... 2 ..."

Carina scrambles up from the bed and zooms out the door. Lily can hear her long legs pitter-patter down the stairs at a surprisingly fast rate. Damn, she didn't think that she would be that quick. She probably should have given her a two-second head start then.

She silently counts to five before she lifts the blanket off of her and comes sprinting after Carina, wherever she could be hiding. Lily's house is a tab bit larger than most and there were definitely a lot of places to hide. Lily should know since she still shamelessly plays hide-and-seek with Naomi and Desi when boredom strikes. However their version of the game includes a lot of cursing, pushing, shoving, and trash talking. It's probably best not to invite some of the kids in her neighborhood over for a game unless she wants to traumatize the minds of a flock of 5-year-olds.