Chapter 22

What Toga saw wasn't what she expected. She didn't think she'd been gone long, but Kyoko had gone from her seemingly calm state to one of complete terror. The smell of vomit lingered heavily in the air, and Kyoko was curled up in a ball, her wings stretched out as far as they could go. Her shirt lay torn on the floor, and Toga watched as the child shook violently, the girl's fingers ripping at the base of her wings, where they met her back. Blood dripped down onto the blanket under her as she spoke to no one in particular. "They won't go away... I'm sorry... get them off of me... they hurt so bad... don't go... don't leave me here... it hurts... get them off..." Kyoko repeated the words again and again, getting more and more frantic as she spoke. Toga couldn't move, her legs were frozen to the floor. Memories of the long, painful nights after she had left the hospital came rushing back with enough force to knock Toga unconscious. She watched as Hawks moved slowly towards the girl, a menacing grin on his face. Toga was overwhelmed with dread as she recognized that grin from the alleyway (refer to chapter 14). Move. Move! Move!! MOVE!!! Toga screamed internally, hoping her body would cooperate so she could save Kyoko. At the last moment, Hawks paused, ruffling his feathers before opening his mouth to speak. "Don't do that hon." He said warmly, slowly reaching for the girl. Toga stepped forward, the adrenaline pushing her close to her breaking point as she struggled to keep her bloodlust down. If he lays so much as a finger... Toga let a growl escape her, followed by an eerie giggle that bounced around the small room. Keigo immediately stepped back, making space for Toga to get to the child she had grown so attached to in such a short amount of time. Toga surged forward, slumping to Kyoko's side, gently placing a hand on the girl's back. "I'm here." She cooed, gently stroking the girl's hands and feathers, wary of the wounds on her back. Kyoko jerked violently, slowly relaxing as Toga continued to whisper warm words into her ear. "I'm right here. Breathe. I've got you. You're okay. I've got you." Kyoko's jerks were reduced to the occasional twitch as Toga continued to talk, gently rubbing at her feathers and hands. Soon, Kyoko lay limp in Toga's arms, staring blankly at something. The three remained silent until Kyoko seemed to jump back into reality, groaning as she moved away from Toga, leaning up against the wall. "C-can I ask you a-a question?" Kyoko muttered. Toga nodded slowly. "Your m-mom..." Kyoko paused as Toga visibly tensed up, glancing quickly at Keigo, who stared at his hands, slight discomfort in his eyes. "Do... you know what happened when... you were brought to the hospital?" Kyoko spoke softly, pausing every few words. Toga nodded. "It's a bit vague. From what I peaced together, she and dad divorced and she remarried. That's all I know. Why?" Toga felt something in her gut as she watched Kyoko begin to fiddle with her fingers. "She did get remarried, though didn't change her name. It wasn't in the news for very long..." Kyoko trailed off, hoping Toga would get the point. Toga stared blankly as realization began to kick in. "She had another kid. You're that kid..." Toga watched Kyoko nod slowly, fiddling with her finger to the point of almost trying to rip them off. "Holy shit." Keigo whispered. "That's a lot of emotion." He watched Toga blink away what looked like tears. "Did she say anything about me?" Toga seemed hopeful. Kyoko nodded. "She said she loved you dearly, though she was afraid of you sometimes. She kept all the photos of you that your dad tried throwing away. She said once it made the news he wanted nothing to do with either of you. She said she hoped you would one day forgive her for not saying anything and agreeing to have you sent to a hospital instead of trying to help you herself. She told me stories about when you were little." The words tumbled from Kyoko's mouth, barely above a whisper. Toga felt tears stream down her face as she listened. "She said she tried visiting the hospital any and every chance she got, but they wouldn't let her see you. She said she was sorry for leaving you alone." Kyoko continued to stare blankly at the far wall, beginning to tear up herself. "And now I think she's dead." Kyoko ended, the words flying out before she could stop them. Toga felt her blood run cold at that. "W-what? What happened?" She stammered. Keigo remained unnoticed and forgotten in the corner, overwhelmed by what he was hearing. The two find out they're stepsisters, and that their mother might be dead. Wonderful reunion... He wanted to leave, but seeing the two so sad made him think leaving wouldn't be a good idea, especially now that that kind of information was out in the open. If things got ugly, it'd be best for him to step in. So, he sat silently and listened. Kyoko explained the events that had led up to the men coming to their home, being thrown out of the window, hearing the loud bang, everything up to Keigo coming in and scooping her up and away. Toga sat silently, tears continuing to fall. As soon as Kyoko stopped talking, the only thing that could be heard was the occasional sniffle from Toga. After what felt like hours, Toga spoke, her voice shaky and dry. "I don't even remember what she looked like. Mom..." Toga shook her head, wiping away her tears, only for more to fall. Kyoko stood slowly. "I'm gonna go take a shower." Her voice was dry and empty and she quickly walked out, her eyes dark and gloomy. Keigo watched her go, turning to Toga as soon as the door closed, quickly slipping over and wrapping his wings around her as she began to wail. "It'll be a long night..." Keigo muttered as he rubbed circles into Toga's back. The heavy gloom and misery floated around the room, making it hard for Keigo to breathe as Toga continued to wail. Her cries were interrupted after a moment when a blood curdling scream cut through the air, snapping Toga back into reality. Within seconds, her tears had stopped, concern filled her eyes, and she was out the door. "Kyoko!"