Chapter 20

"How is he?" Midnight tapped Mic's shoulder (We're going to start referring to Mic by his real name, Hizashi). "Not well." Mic sighed as he looked at the closed door that led to Aizawa's office. "He hasn't come out of there since we got back yesterday, and he's only stopped crying about an hour ago. At least, he stopped crying loud enough for anyone out here to hear him." Hizashi dropped his head into his hands. "He didn't even come home last night. I came back here early, since I couldn't sleep, to send off the night shift, only for them to tell me that he hadn't left his office all night long. Usually if he wasn't home he was just staying at the cat cafe downtown. He won't let me in to see him and I don't know what to do." Hizashi turned to face Midnight, who's sadness was written on her face. "You haven't slept much. Your eyes are heavy and I'm seeing eye bags. Get some rest. I'll take care of him." Hizashi shook his head, determination gleaming in his eyes. "No Nemuri. When he opens the door finally, I want to be the one to be there for him." Midnight cursed quietly as she tore a small hole on her suit, kneeling to make sure it was inhaled. "That wasn't a suggestion Hizashi. You 're getting more rest." She grabbed his shoulders as he slumped down. She stared at his unconscious body for a moment before picking it up and carrying it to the office door. "Aizawa, get your depressed ass over here and open this door before I kick it down." She was met with silence. She growled as she continued. "Don't underestimate me Shouta. I will kick this door down to get to you, and you'll regret it if I have to do that. Get over here." Midnight heard the shuffling of, and soon, Aizawa opened the door and looked at her. She flinched internally at the red, puffy, empty eyes that met her gaze. They seemed to brighten slightly as Aizawa looked at the sleeping Hizashi in Midnight's arms. "I'll take him." Aizawa murmured as he lifted his boyfriend with relative ease. "Thanks... Nemuri..." Aizawa murmured as he began closing the door. Midnight stopped it with her hand and slid into the room, closing the door behind her as Aizawa stepped back to let her in. Midnight had to grab the door handle to keep from doubling over. The room reeked of coffee and sleep. "No." Midnight steadied herself. "This isn't okay. You're taking Hizashi home, and the two of you aren't allowed back here until this afternoon. If I see either of you beforehand, I'll kick your asses." Aizawa was about to complain, but Midnight glared at him. "No. Go home. I'll clean this place up, but you need to go." Midnight stepped away from the door, worried that the horrid smell would leak out into the hallway if it was opened. Aizawa sighed, clearly giving in. He shifted the unconscious Hizashi onto his back and slipped quietly out of the room, leaving Midnight alone. After a few minutes of throwing out dozens of half-filled cups of coffee,the overwhelming feeling of misery that had settled around the room forced Midnight out of the room, as she couldn't breathe in the heavy weight of it. She tried clearing her head, focusing on something other than the sight that she had seen for the past half hour. "I need to find someone who'll become Hawks' replacement. Maybe that Tokoyami kid." Midnight began walking towards the building entrance, taking a deep breath to try calming herself before stepping out and being flooded with reporters. But first, she thought, let's take care of this.

"How do you feel about Hawks' death?"
"How will it affect heroes for the coming days?"
"Why didn't you get him out of there?"
The questions came one right after the other, some seemingly blending together. Irritation mixed with grief formed a lump in Midnight's throat, making her incapable of stopping the wave of questions that continued to bombard her. Her irritation began to bubble over as she looked out at a crowd of people whose only concern was getting a story.
"What was he doing at the hotel?'
"Do you-" "STOP!" MIdnight shouted before she could process what she'd just done. A deafening silence fell across the crowd as everyone seemed taken aback. "Please... just stop." Midnight whispered into the mic. She grabbed onto the small podium to keep herself up as her legs grew weak. "Your stories can wait. I understand you all have jobs to do, and I know you may have lost loved ones, but please. Give us a moment." Midnight shook her head as tears began to push their way up. "Why should we?" A man's voice rang out from the crowd. Midnight looked up to see who spoke, meeting the gaze of a young man who seemed to be filled with nothing but rage. "Why should we wait for you? If we can do our jobs after losing loved ones, why can't you?" Midnight's tears were chased away as disbelief settled in their place. She slipped away from the podium, half walking, half stumbling towards the man irritation turning to anger and disgust. "We've put our lives on the line everyday to keep you all safe. We've lost more than you can imagine. We don't show it because it's considered unprofessional. We can't even go to therapy without being judged as weak. If you're going to go there, if you're going to act like you've suffered more, then I hope you're prepared to lose that argument badly." The man took a step back, placing his hands up in defence. "I'm not looking for trouble. I'm just trying to say that you can't act all high and mighty, then expect us to not question it when you suddenly can't do your job. This is what you signed up for, right?" This is what you signed up for, right? Hearing that echo in her head made her snap. Before she knew what had happened, Midnight's hand lashed out, striking the man and knocking him off his feet. The man's confidence seemed to shatter as he hit the ground, and he whimpered slightly as he tried pushing himself away from Midnight, who had knelt down to meet his gaze. "Not trying to start trouble? Hah. You're pathetic." She leaned closer. "Why are you whimpering, huh? Getting injured for not keeping your mouth shut should be something you signed up for, right? All that, for a story." Midnight stood, running her fingers through her hair, looking down at the man. "And was it worth it?" She chuckled coldly as the man's eyes widened and he scrambled to his feet and backed away. He shook his head quickly before turning and bolting, ignoring the looks he got as he went. Midnight rubbed her hand, looking from one reporter to another. "You want a story? Here's one: Pro-Hero Midnight loses her cool after being overloaded with questions and slaps a reporter. Now, go away and let those of us who need to mourn, do so." Midnight began to turn away, pausing to speak again. "And tell that poorly packaged piece of horse shit to mind his tongue next time, or I'll break his fucking jaw." She continued walking again, refusing to turn back as she headed up the stairs, past the podium, and back into the building. After that, I'll take Aizawa's office anyday. Midnight sighed as she rounded the corner, hiding herself from anyone from the outside, and falling to the ground. I need a nap. As she slowly rose to her feet, a crimson feather drifted to the ground in front of her. "Hawks?" She jumped, turning to find where the feather had come from. Nothing. I must be losing it. Midnight clapped her hands together, shaking her head to clear her thoughts. "Let's get to finding that replacement. Starting with Tokoyami." She slowly headed towards her office, the red feather flying around in the back of her mind.