Chapter 8

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

********

"She's not up yet?"

Jasmine frowned and appeared next to me, clanking at me who clearly hadn't slept at all. She checked her pulse for a moment before sighing and turning to me.

"Probably just tired. It's eight A.M. and you haven't gotten any sleep?" Jasmine asked. She looked in both of my eyes before turning away to grab something.

"Well, you'd said she was going to wake up in the early morning, so I wanted to be awake for her," I answered quietly.

"You like her," Jasmine teased a little. I didn't even look at her before I flipped her off. She just laughed in response.

"Can you send Pres in whenever he shows up?" I asked her as she moved to left.

"Sure," Jasmine murmured and quietly left the room. Almost as soon as Jasmine left, Beatrice's breathing quickened and she coughed as she came to.

"Hey, hey," I assured. Her body was already shaking, just like the night before, and I fumbled for my phone with one hand while trying to calm her with the other.

"She's awake," was all I said to Jasmine before I hung up the phone. I tossed it onto the bed near Beatrice's feet and ignored it when she kicked it to the floor. I grabbed both of her shaking hands and gripped them together tightly, trying to calm her down with pressure.

"I'm here, I'm here," Jasmine rushed into the room. We all ignored Pres' presence—apparently he was awake early today—as we rushed to get her heart rate down.

"You're safe. You're protected," Jasmine said loudly so Beatrice could get it through her head. "You think Sniper would let anything happen to you?" Jasmine pointed to me and I smiled at Beatrice when her eyes slowly drifted to mine.

She shook her head no.

"Is there anything I can get you to calm down? Food or drink?" Jasmine murmured. Beatrice's mouth opened to answer, but it took a few seconds for any sound to actually come out.

"Anything fried," she said. Her voice cracked a little, but no one even thought about it as Jasmine ordered Pres to do her bidding with a smile.

"See? They all listen to me," Jasmine whispered to Beatrice with a giggle. She was able to get Beatrice to smile.

"Can I...um...leave this room? I hate the doctor's office," Beatrice said. My chest tightened at her small, timid voice. It wasn't the voice I had known when chasing her for a date.

"Let's set her up in my room," I spoke up, "I mean—as long as it's alright with you, Beatrice." I rubbed her hand softly.

"Can we go now?" Those words easily spurred action. Jasmine grabbed a bottle of medicine before I was helping Beatrice off of the bed and up the stairs.

"You're limping," she whispered when we began the walk to my room alone. I patted her hand, tucked around mine, a few times and gave her a smile.

"Nothing to worry about. Just a scratch," I gave her a genuine smile. She glanced at me, a little unsure, but continued the slow walk with me. I seated her on my unmade bed, remembering Doc waking me up the night before and rushing to the clinic.

"Tell me what happened," Beatrice said softly as she laid back. I lifted the covers over her and raised them to her neck, covering the bruises slightly.

"We had to...eliminate a threat. There was a misfire on the other side," I explained as softly as I could. She nodded and I knew I wasn't going to be able to look away from. Her while she was in my bed.

I had light grey sheets, and her black hair, brown eyes, and my yellow shirt looked absolutely fantastic against them. Yellow and grey was a combination I would gladly get used to.

"So, it's a gunshot wound?" Her hand drifted to the middle of my thigh, where her finger trailed over my pants. I cleared my throat and moved her hand, opting to hold her hand instead.

"Yeah," I responded quietly. She smiled softly at me. Jasmine knocked and didn't wait for a response before coming in.

"Sniper, Pres is waiting for you outside the door," Jasmine winked at me. I squeezed Beatrice's hand before setting it down and stepping out for a moment.

"Jasmine mentioned that you wanted to see me," Pres' arms were crossed as he leaned against the wall in the hallway. I nodded and made sure the door was shut behind me before speaking.

"I want the motherfucker who did this to her to pay. Comp said I needed your permission to find him," I said quietly. His eyebrows raised.

"Comp needs to do a background check to make sure we're not going to have a target on our back afterwards. Listen—have you gotten the story from her? Maybe..."

"What the fuck, Pres? Are you doubting her story?" I glared and took a step forward. I would never hurt my President, but man my hands were itching to punch him.

"No, man. I'm just saying that she's not an old lady, so we need to be more careful. Listen to her story, inform Comp, and keep me updated. I'll make the decision after the background check," Pres muttered. He stepped away from the wall, uncrossed his arms, and turned to walk away.

I sighed, then took a deep breath before putting a smile on my face and went back into my room. Jasmine was laughing with Beatrice, and my heart felt full again while watching the smile stretch across her face.

"I'll come check on you later, okay? If you need anything, make Sniper get it for you," Jasmine smiled. Beatrice nodded and said goodbye. I stepped out of the way so Jasmine could exit the room and stepped forward to sit next to Beatrice.

"Your bed is comfortable," Beatrice smiled. I chuckled and nodded, resisting the urge to crawl under the covers next to her.

"It's my most treasured item," I grinned.

"This is your shirt too, right?" She looked down at the yellow covering her chest. "I'm sorry, Sniper...for turning you down. I've wanted to say yes for so long, but Trev—"

"Stop! It's okay. Don't worry about it. Can you tell me what happened?" I pressed gently. Beatrice swallowed and looked down at her hands that were twisting around each other.

"I just...woke up and he was on top of me, his hands around my neck," Beatrice swallowed. I reached forward and separated her hands before she took the skin off of them.

"He was going to kill me."

********

I love Jasmine more and more every chapter!