Chapter 24

I'm glad you all are enjoying! Leave a comment!

********

"Alright," Doc murmured.

He was peeling back the last of my bandages and I tried not to grimace at the wet sound. I was given permission to walk—though not to ride—and to take it slow. He would be coaching me through physical therapy for a week or two also.

I could tell Beatrice was trying not to look at the wounds, but her curiosity overtook her. My skin wasn't pretty, but I hoped she liked me enough to look past it.

"Don't I look hot?" I smiled towards Beatrice. I was trying not to shove my pants-leg down so no one could see them, but she just grinned right back and strode over me.

"Before you two get all lovey," Doc interrupted, "this needs to be rubbed on the burns every night still. We'll meet for PT every day at two—and until you're better, you won't be going on runs. You'll be helping Beatrice with paperwork." I snapped my head towards Doc and crumpled my face.

"I'm shit at paperwork!"

"You get to help me, though," Beatrice happily wound her arms around my shoulders. I turned back to her with a grin that she quickly reciprocated. "I'm so happy I can touch you again."

"And I'm gone," Doc snapped his gloves off, tossed them in the trash and left the room. There was a small bit of rippling pain any time Beatrice touched me, but the sparks it left behind masked the pain.

"I'm thrilled to touch you too," I murmured against her lips. She smiled into the kiss and pulled herself tighter against me. I let both of my hands slide down to her ass and gripped it tightly, using it to pull her somehow closer.

"Mm," she moaned, and climbed on top of my lap. "Any pain?"

"Nah," I answered before I moved a hand up to yank her back into a kiss. I lightly lifted myself off of the bed, turned around quickly—so she was lying down instead of me—and pressed my body on to hers.

"Come on!" A voice screamed behind us. I backed up quicker than I ever had and almost fell of the bed.

"Dad?"

"Maybe joining the club was a bad idea," Mr. Odison looked embarrassed as he scratched the back of his head.

"Sorry. We'll stop," I cleared my throat. A glance at Beatrice told me she was worried, so I winked and turned back to her dad. "I'll leave you two alone."

While Pres could—and did—make out with Maya everywhere I could think of, I wouldn't be so lucky. I was grateful Odison had found a place at the Club. He looked like he needed a family, even though he had Beatrice, and I didn't want him to back away like he was doing.

"Hey," Pres clapped a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey."

"How are you feeling? It's good to see you back on your feet," he smiled. I hadn't even noticed Josie was in his other arm until she yawned loudly. "Want to hold her?"

"I'll never say no," I grinned. He transferred the sleeping bundle into my arms and Josie yawned again.

"Don't tell anyone," Pres glanced around, "but I'm gettin' a vasectomy tomorrow. Maya doesn't want to do birth control anymore, and this is the easiest solution. It's going to be a few days of recovery, so if anyone asks, I'm hungover as fuck."

"Got it," I turned to smirk at him.

"Torch will take over for me. Stop fucking laughing," Pres scolded me.

"Yes sir!" I said loudly. He rolled his eyes, rested his hand on my shoulder for a second before he took his daughter back and wandered off. Arms wrapped around my intersection as a small head popped up on my shoulder.

"Hey you," Beatrice murmured. She kissed my neck lightly, then nuzzled into my neck. Before I turned around to face her, my phone rang.

"One sec," I told her as I dug in my pocket for my phone. "Hello?"

"Hey, man. Your parents are looking for a way to contact ya," Comp muttered.

"Anything suspicious?"

"No. Your ma's been crying a lot from what I can see in their phones. They're worried about you."

"Of course they're worried now," I scoffed, thanked him, and hang up.

"Your parents?" Beatrice questioned. I nodded and glanced at her as she pulled away. "You going to call them?"

"Yeah," I muttered.

"Well, before you call them, just letting you know—we're never doing anything outside of your room ever again. I can't believe dad caught us like that," she murmured.

"I'm glad your dad is a part of the club, but that might kill me," I chuckle. She smiles back and squeezes my hand that she'd grabbed at some point and moved towards the bar. I stepped into a more private corner of the room and dialed the number that made my stomach turn.

"Hello?" Mom's voice answered. Comp was right—she'd been crying—and I looked at the floor. "It's one of those damn prank callers again, Henry!" She said loudly.

"Hey, ma," I coughed.

"Oh! Oh, Noah!" I could hear the tears start again as she tried to cover the phone.

"Is everything alright?" I heard dad's voice in the background.

"Noah, how are you?" She sniffled loudly in to the phone and I could hear my dad trying to calm her down.

"I'm good, ma. Can you take a deep breath? No need to hyperventilate over the phone," I tried to sound as gentle as I could.

"I'm good. I'm good, Henry! Stop it," she lightly scolded. My dad stopped talking and mom focused her attention on me.

"How are you? Physically? Are you doing good?" She questioned.

"Just got my bandages off. I'm out of the chair, too," I explained.

"Good! Oh, God, I'm so thankful," she whispered.

"I wanted to ask if you wanted to go out to eat. Just the two of us," I said as I eyed Beatrice. I wanted nothing more than to take her with me, but mom and I had some of our own shit to work out. That also meant my dad could wait. One step at a time.

"Yes! Yes, and you can come to the house! I can make you—"

"I can't come back there, ma," I clenched my jaw, "but you pick your favorite place and I'll take you there."

"Okay," her voice seemed a little dejected, but it would be a long time until I could step foot back in that house.

"Does tomorrow work for you?" I asked. I was off runs for a while, still, so I guess I could use some free time to work through my familial issues. My chest clenched. How was I still fearing their rejection?

"Yes, yes of course. I should be done with babysitting by then," she murmured offhandedly.

"Babysitting?"

"Oh! Um," she paused, "Scott's son. Have you spoken to them since..."

"No, ma. No one's really reached out," I replied.

"I know it will mean nothing at this point, but I am so, so sorry."

"I know, ma. I know."

********

I wanted to give Sniper plenty of time to thin about it before reaching out! 

I hope you enjoyed.