Russell

Luke's house had turned into a wrestling match. The two heavyweights were tense and battering each other. The front room had been destroyed. The coffee table was smashed. Lampstands were flickering as they lay on their sides, and the dishes Luke had ignored, had smashed, or falling onto the floor.
The fight between Luke and Russell was getting out of hand. Russell had managed to keep Luke at bay and avoid any severe injury. Luke was relentless. He kept attacking.

'Stop!' cried Russell, pushing Luke away.
Luke was out of control. He jumped forward and pushed all his weight into Russell. This time Russell went down and crashed into the coffee table. His back smashed into the wooden surface, breaking the unit in two, and sending small fragments of wood into the air. Russell groaned in pain.
'Stop! Please Luke, stop!'
But Luke could not stop. He was so cross that he had lost control of his senses. All he wanted to do was take out his frustration of Russell. His friend and liar. Before Russell could recover from the fall, Luke had bent down and pulled Russell to his feet. Adrenaline was rushing through Luke and he swung his fist in an arc, ready to pound Russell. This time Russell was ready. He was still dazed from the fall but was alert enough to dodge Luke's blow. It was weak and feeble. Russell had to defend himself. The blow went wide, missing Russell's face by inches, allowing him to strike an attack of his own. He had to stop Luke before things got out of hand. They already were. Russell swung his big fist backwards and launched it into Luke's chest. The impact knocked the wind of Luke, and he stepped back, gasping for air and breathing heavily. It was not enough to stop Luke. He caught his breathe and screamed, while charging directly at Russell.
'Please stop!' shouted Russell over the noise of Luke's scream. 'Luke!'
Luke was not listening. He was rushing toward Russell like an angry bear, and Russell managed to quickly step aside, avoiding Luke's charge. Immediately, Luke turned and fixed his gaze on Russell, the lonely gazelle waiting to be devoured. He was angry.
'Luke. This is mental. Stop before someone gets hurt,' pleaded Russell.
Luke paused. He stood frozen, muscles tense, his face red, and sweat glistening against his forehead.
'You lied to me! You were my best friend,' yelled Luke.
'I still am your best friend. I'm sorry. I should have told you.'
'You should have, and you are not my best friend.'
Luke was springing into action. Still angry and still raging. Russell straightened up and braced himself for the strike. Russell was visible stronger, both in size and weight, and the blow he received from Luke's charge felt like a tickle. Luke was tall and athletic, but he was not a fighter.
Russell grab Luke's collar and pushed him away. This was getting out of hand, yet Russell could see Luke was not going to stop until he was put down, and this was getting out of hand. With another tuck, Russell slammed his chucky fist into Luke's stomach for the second time. He was not delivered with great force, just enough to incapacitate Luke and bring him to his senses. Luke gasped for air, feeling the wind rush of out him. He stumbled backwards and coughed violently.
'You had enough?' asked Russell.
Luke pulled himself upright, spat onto the carpet, and glared at his former best friend. Days of frustration and sadness were coming out, and Luke was taking it out on Russell. The rush of adrenaline was good, and for the first time Luke felt alive. He growled like a wild animal and resumed his charge. This time it would not be so weak.
He leapt at Russell with all his weight behind him. Russell expected another weak strike and stood his ground. Yet the attack was stronger than anticipated, and the charge knocked Russell off his feet. He tumbled backwards, and with a mighty fall, hit the ground with a thud. He barely had time to register the pain. Luke was back in attack mode and intended to kick Russell in the side while he was down. Russell rolled and felt the wind from Luke's foot rush by and miss him by inches. This is crazy. Luke had gone mental. Russell had to get out of here. If Luke did not stop, someone would end up in hospital, and Russell did not want to hurt his best friend. He understood how Luke felt. He had lost his wife. That pain he knew too well. Then he finds out she was cheating on him, and worst of all others knew about it and said nothing. He too would have gone mental.
Luke was moving in for another kick.
'Luke! This is mental,' screamed Russell, rolling away and trying to get back on his feet.
Luke was still not listening. He raised his foot and brushed Russell's side. It was a light blow and the big man moved way, avoiding the worst of the hit.
Russell scrambled to his feet before Luke could launch another attack. 'Enough!'
Luke was still in a rage. Russell ran out of the living room and headed toward the front door.
'Come back here, you coward,' screamed Luke.
Russell pulled the main door open and a cold breeze rushed into the house. Winter was coming. The temperature had dropped a few degrees and the air was fresh and cold. Luke stepped into the corridor.
'I'm not done with you yet,' he growled.
'Please Luke. You need to calm down. I'm truly sorry. I wished I told you.'
'You should have told me. How can I trust you?' said Luke.
'All I can do is apologies. I can't stay here with you like this.'
'Damn right. You're not welcome anyway. Get out!'
'I'm going anyway. When you've calmed down, I'll be staying at The Anchor Inn. I'm sorry Luke. Please forgive me.'
'Get out!' screamed out and moved closer toward the door.
'I'm gone.'
Russell rushed out the door and ran down the road before Luke could chase him down. He looked back at his friend and felt a pang of guilt. He had lied to his best friend. If only he could go back in time, he would have done things differently. Then his guilt turned to sadness when he approached his house. It was black and boarded up, like a derelict house, abandoned and unloved. He stopped and stared at the property. How had this happened? Police tap was wrapped road the door and red cones littered the property with various warnings. Do not enter. Do not touch.
It was a mess. Someone had done this and killed his wonderful wife. The pain he felt in his chest would never go away, and Russell understood how Luke felt. Yet, someone had killed Debbie. Jessica had died by accident. It was different. If Russell ever found out who did this, he would happily kill them and enjoy spending his life in jail. It would be worthwhile.

He had to look away.Russell's stomach was churning and the thought of what happened sickened him.It was time to leave and head to the Inn. Being away from this place, mightgive him time to reflect on what had happened. He could have done with Luke's companytonight, but it was not meant to be. Luke was mad and might never calm down. Heknew where to find Russell.

If only Russell had known, he would have left town. Disappeared forever.Because he would die, not tonight, but soon.