Luke

As Luke slept, his mind was filled with thoughts and dreams. He was in a deep sleep, tossing and turning while trying to get comfortable on the sofa. For the last few days he had found it difficult to sleep in the bed that he and Jessica had shared, and decided the sofa was a better option. After his confrontation with Alan, Luke had spent his time moping around the house, asking himself how this could have happened, and feeling sorry for himself. Finally, he had succumbed to sleep, and collapsed on the soft sofa.

Luke's mind slipped into a dream and the images became clear and vivid, as if he were there. Two years ago, on his wedding day, the sun had been shining, the sky was a beautiful blue, and it felt like the angels were singing. It was a perfect day. Luke was dressed in a black tuxedo, bow tie and the weirdly titled cummerbund. He never saw the point of it, yet Jessica had insisted he wear it. He could hear her words clearly.
'If you're going to wear a tux, wear it properly.' He could not argue with that and had agreed to dress up like a glorified waiter.
Luke stood watching the crowd mingling around the fancy country club. Jessica's parents were members. It was a golf club, yet it sounded posher to call it a country club, like the American's did. Either way, it was fancy. Too fancy for Luke, having grown up in a mid-terrace house, located in a rundown part of London. Yet, he would not have it any other way. His childhood was filled with laugher and love. His parents were devoted to each other and to Luke. He was their only child, and he always felt loved. It was true what The Beatles said: All you need is love. That was all he had needed.

Jessica life was vastly different to his. She came from another world. Money. Big houses. Expensive holidays. Luke had never been abroad, let alone stepped on to a plane. Not until he was twenty. He got his first job as an entry level designer, making coffee for the big boys, yet he worked hard, until he got his first promotion. That job gave him cash, and for the first time he treated his parents to a holiday. Together, with Luke they set off to Spain for a two-week holiday in the sun. Luke had been overwhelmed with excitement, and it had been amazing. Everyone had a superb time. Jessica had laughed when he told her that story, but he did not mind, it was worth the humiliation just to see her smile. That smile was the first thing that had attracted him to her. Her laugh and her smile.

Gazing across the vast grounds, Luke glanced at the guests talking and laughing. He reflected how lucky he was. How did a woman like Jessica fall in love with a back-street boy from a rough neighbourhood? Opposites attract. It had to be.
'Congratulations mate.' It was Russell, tapping Luke on the shoulder. 'I know what you are thinking?'
'Do you?' asked Luke with a grin, turning to greet his friend. 'Tell me?'
'Let me see,' said Russell. 'You are wondering how someone like you ended up with someone like that.' Russell then pointed toward Jessica. 'I wonder that myself.' Then he laughed, spilling some wine out of the glass.
'Are you drunk?' asked Luke. 'How is my best man going to keep things in order?'
'Oh. Don't you worry about that. Everything is under control.'
'I'm sure it is. Anyway, as my best man, get me another beer, will you?'
'Ai Ai! Captain!' Russell saluted and disappeared.
Luke turned his attention back to Jessica. On the day Luke had been captivated by her smile, the way she looked and how she acted. Her white dressed shone in the light. The long silky fabric hung from her body as if they were one. It was a perfect fit. The ultimate dress. Luke was still staggered how much it had cost, but Daddy was paying for it. Now, in his dream he noticed something he had missed, buried deeply in his mind.

Jessica was talking to Alan. He had thought nothing of it, even though the conversation had been animated. Luke just assumed it was something about work and Jessica was being passionate, as she always did when she was excited. He had been too mesmerised to see what was really happening. His subconscious opened his eyes. In the dream, he could see Jessica, and her smile had gone. What was more troubling was the way Alan had placed his hand on her face. Tenderly and lovingly. Jessica pushed him away. His eyes focused on her face and Luke read her lips as she said, 'not here.'

How could he have missed that. Jessica was arguing with Alan at their wedding, and now he knew what this was about. The way Alan touched Jessica, how his hands caressed her face, and his body language, told Luke one thing. He was in love with Jessica and could not let her go. His subconscious revealed more. Luke's eyes were fixed on Jessica, his beautiful bride. She calmed herself and then took Alan's hand. Luke had not noticed this during that wonderful day, but now, buried deep within his mind, he saw. Jessica stroked Alan's hand and then Luke caught sight of her words again. 'I'm sorry. I love you.' Even though it was a dream, Luke felt like his heart had been ripped out. He had observed all these events on his wedding day, but he had never registered it. After learning the truth about Jessica and Alan, he could see these events clearly. His dream was turning into a nightmare. Jessica had betrayed him on his wedding day.
'Hey buddy.' It was Russell. 'Your beer Sire!' He laughed, spilling some of the contents over his suit.

Luke was instantly pulled out of the dream, breathing hard and sweating. He was dazed. The images of his wedding were so real that it took Luke a few seconds to get his bearings. He sat up and reached for the glass of water. How could he have missed those details? He felt confused, wondering if any of it were real. Afterall, it was only a dream. Had he imagined it? It had to be real. The details were too vivid and clear to be fake. He could still remember Jessica's words to Alan and could see her face clearly. She still loved Alan, yet she had chosen to marry Luke. Why? How could she have done this? Luke's mind was whirring faster than a washer, and he tried to collect his thoughts. He found himself pacing the room, muttering to himself, struggling to accept she had done this. Jessica, the love of his life had betrayed him, and seen another man behind his back. He had proof. The text messages. The dream. Alan had declared his love for Jessica straight to his face.
Luke felt sick. His stomach was churning. He was going to vomit and quickly rushed to the toilet.

Five minutes later, Luke gulped down some more water, wiping his mouth. He would always love Jessica. She had given him a few years of complete bliss. Sadly, he could also feel that undying love turning into anger. His heart had been ripped apart, and he felt rage building up inside him. How? He yelled out, 'How could you?' The only response he got was from the heating pipes clicking behind the wall.

For the next few days, Luke tried desperately to get his life back in order. He decided that focusing on work would help clear his mind. He had stayed off the alcohol, pouring most of the vodka down the drain. He had started eating better and going to sleep at a sensible time. His boss had agreed that Luke could work from home for a few days in the week.
He settled down in his office and tapped away on the computer. The third room in the house was designed to be a bedroom, but it could barely hold a single bed. Instead, it had been converted into an office. Filled with books, and strange ornaments, along with a large desk that covered an entire wall, it was a wonderful room to study or work in. Luke had sat in this room many times, and it was always his favourite place to come if he wanted some time to reflect and unwind. Sitting at the desk, Luke scanned the room. He hated being here. The entire room was filled with pictures. Pictures of Luke and Jessica. Some from holidays, others from their wedding day, and others of Jessica staring vacantly into the distance. Luke loved these pictures, now they were memories of betrayal and lies. Without warning, he jumped up and pulled the nearest picture off the shelf and threw it onto the floor. It shattered, leaving behind broken glass and splintered wood. Luke grabbed another and threw it hard against the wall. He pulled all the pictures from the wall and smashed them. The floor was now littered with small fragments of glass and twisted frames. The glossy prints peeled as they sprung from their frames. Finally he sat back and stared at the mess. He thought he could cope, get back to work and move on with his life, but Luke was a mess. He had lost his wife and then learnt she had cheated on him and may have gotten pregnant from another man. He could not do this. Luke needed help if he had any chance of returning to a normal life. Everything had unravelled and now he was spiralling out of control, torn in two by the woman he loved. He had managed to get through these few days without dwelling on her. He had refused to focus on Jessica, but now these feelings of anger and hate were surfacing, and it was sending him back into a dark void.

I knew Luke would see the truth. His life is a mess, but he had to know what was going on. When this is all over, I might offer him a way out. What do you think? I know Luke, when he finds out more, he is going to fall deeper in that dark void he talks about.
I tried so hard to keep Luke out of this, but he had to confront Alan. That mistake led to more problems. Someone had seen him, pushing Alan in the corridor, and told the police. Why couldn't Luke just stay out of this?