Sam

Sometimes in life you must make hard choices, and I was the one having to make them. Don't ask me how I know, but I was shocked to learn that Louise had been hiding the truth from Luke. She may not have done it intentionally, but she kept it to herself. I had to make things rights. I could not allow liars and betrayers to live, and I felt it was my duty to sort it out.
By now you must think of me as a horrible, psychotic killer. I'm the opposite. I do not kill for fun, or indiscriminately. I only clear away those who deserve it. Sadly, Jessica, and Debbie deserved it, and now Russell and Louise must pay. I'm still trying to work out all the details, but I have some ideas. Russell's death will look like an accident. That's the plan and if it works, no one will suspect a thing.

I managed to borrow a car that night. I didn't steal it, just borrowed it, and the vehicle will be returned to the same spot I found it. The car was a bit of a squeeze, yet functional, and allowed me to drive to The Anchor Inn where Russell was staying. I planned to wait and watch, hoping to find out which room he was staying in.

Parked discreetly in the shadows, I watched the entrance to the building. It was lively and full of revellers out enjoying themselves. Men and woman stood outside, holding beers in one hand and cigarettes in the other, smoking like chimneys. Filthy habit. Inside I could hear the noise of the crowd, eating and drinking, and having an enjoyable time. It was a lovely place, and under different circumstance it would be the sort of place I would like to visit. Full of character, the outside was painted black and green, with a sign displaying a ship's anchor. I wondered how long it had been here. Inns could be hundreds of years old, acting as stagecoach stops for those travelling in and out of the city. The Anchor Inn could easily have been that old.
Tonight's visit served a different purpose. My purpose was to watch and observe and hope for a lucky break. If Russell emerged from the building, I would take that opportunity, and cause a serious accident. No matter how long it took, I was prepared to wait until closing time, and would keep trying, every evening, until I saw Russell.

I was getting a bit concerned about Luke. While staring at the entrance, I reflected on Luke's mental state. Remember, this is all for him. His recent behaviour suggests he might be having a breakdown. If he is having a breakdown, then the kindest thing might be an early exit. I didn't want to take Luke's life, but I saw how desperate he was at the cemetery, and after nearly killing that kid, I wondered if Luke was losing his mind. Death would be a relief for him. Not yet, I told myself. Luke will be fine. Once all the liars, and cheats, and the deceitful are gone from his life, things will improve. It had too, otherwise their deaths would have been pointless.

The Anchor Inn was getting busier. A taxi pulled up, and five women, staggered out of the car. Dressed in sequin, sparkling from head to toe, they fell out onto the street. A hen night, and the party had already started. They could barely walk. The girls were leaning on one another for support and stumbled into the entrance. I wondered if they would make it home tonight. When the evening was over, they would find themselves sleeping in a gutter, utterly oblivious and in a comatose state. Then they were gone.

The Inn would still be open for a few more hours, and all I could do was wait. The temperature in the car was dropping and I could feel the chill from outside creeping into the vehicle. The windscreen was starting to mist up, and my breath was becoming visible.
Outside the Inn, only the brave ventured out to smoke, making a quick retreat, disappearing back into the warmth. I thought about starting the car, allowing the warmth to flood the interior, enjoying the warm air circulate around my body. Doing that could alert someone to my presence, and I wanted to remain out of sight.

I had almost giving up for the evening when I saw him. By now, I had pulled my coat up and had hauled the hood over my head. The inside of the vehicle had become as cold as the outside, and I began to wonder how long I could endure this. I quickly forgot about the cold when I saw the round, burly man, dressed in black jeans and a thick winter coat, stepping out from the Inn. He briskly walked down the street, moving with purpose. It must have been close to 11pm, and for a moment I questioned what Russell was doing out this late. If he kept on walking, I would drive into him, and it would look like a hit and run, or better yet, I hoped he would get into his car.