Russell

Russell was still stocked by what he had stumbled upon. Luke was in Louise's apartment, and the poor girl was trapped into her own room. Russell was struggling to understand what was happening, but he had to help Louise, before it was too late.

Russell's eyes widen in surprise by what happened next. One minute Luke was trembling and hunched over, then unexpectantly, Luke stopped shaking, and transformed before Russell's eyes. Luke stood upright, the trembling had stopped, and Luke stepped closer toward Russell.
'I'm not going to tell you!' he roared, laughing.
Russell froze, watching the scene unfold before him. As quickly as those words were spoken, Luke cowered back against the wall, and started shaking again.
'I'm sorry. Russell. It's. Too. Late. I. Can't. Do. It.'
Whatever was happening, Russell was now sure that Luke was fighting himself. It was weird to watch, and even though Russell did not understand how this was happening, he did feel a moments sadness for Luke. Russell was quickly bought back to reality when Louise pounded again on the door, calling to be let out.

This was taking too long, and Russell was losing patience. The longer he stared at his wife's killer, the more he could feel his anger and hatred rising. He wanted to make Luke suffer, and the more he thought about Debbie, the more his frustration rose. Russell soared forward and grabbed the collar of Luke's shirt.
'Where is the key? Louise needs your help. Where did you hide the key?'
Russell pushed and pulled Luke back and forth, trying to knock some sense into him. Luke was not responding. Instead, Luke looked at Russell, his eyes begging for relief and all Russell could do was to let go. The big man stepped back, dumbfounded by Luke's behaviour. This was no going to work.
'Louise. I need you to step away from the door. Get as far back as you can into the bedroom. I'm getting you out.'
'What! The door is too thick to kick down,' she replied, sounding confused.
'Trust me. Get back.'
Glancing back, Russell kept an eye on Luke, who was still shaking and sweating badly. His eyes were locked on Russell's movements, and he wondered who was watching him, Luke or Sam. It was weird. Then Russell pulled the small gun out of his waistband and examined the weapon. He caught Luke's eyes, and he noticed a flinch. Did he understand what Russell would do to him? Maybe Luke wanted to die. He is a mess, and death would be a relief for him.

Russell aimed the gun at the lock and steady his hand. This would be the first time he fired the weapon. Just point and click. That is what he had been told, and without waiting, he squeezed the trigger.
The noise as the gun discharged the bullet was deafening. In the split second it took for the bullet to launch out of the barrel, the apartment was filled with a thunderous crack. Russell's hand twisted back from the recoil and he felt a sudden pain in his hand. Then the lock exploded into a million fragments as the shot penetrated through the wood, disintegrating the bolt, and flew out of the other side.
Russell's ears echoed from blast, and the noise reverberated around his head. It had been louder than he had anticipated, but he was not sure what he expected, never having fired a gun before. The important thing was that the door was now unlocked, and without waiting, Russell pulled hard and opened the door. He was still holding the gun, which left a small trail of smoke as he walked into the room. Louise was crouched by the side of the bed, with her hands over her ears. She looked at Russell, then she looked at the gun, and her eyes opened wide in fear.

Russell noticed the sudden apprehension and tucked the weapon back into his waistband.
'Hey,' he said, sounding casual. 'Are you OK?'
Louise sighed, relief all over her face, and jumped up. She wrapped her arms around Russell and started to sob.
'I thought I'd never get out of here.'
'You're safe now. It's over.'
'What about Luke?' she asked.
Russell carefully pulled her arms away and turned to look into the corridor.
'Stay here. Luke, Sam, whoever he is, is still out there. I'm going to deal with it.'
'What are you going to do?' asked Louise, sounded worried.
'Just stay here. Please. Stay here.'
Louise nodded, and Russell smiled reassuringly, before shutting the bedroom door.