Sam

The knife slipped out from Louise's hand and slowly feel toward the floor. She twisted under the strain Sam was placing on her wrist and watched as her only weapon disappeared onto the floor. She was helpless. Trapped by a madman, who would kill her. Sam released his grip and laughed. She had one chance, one chance to escape and Louise was going to use it. Sam would have to bend down to retrieve the knife and that is when she would take that chance.

Sam removed his hand from her wrist and shook his head, almost warning her not to move. Then he bent over, moving his hand toward the fallen knife. Louise was paralysed with fear, but not enough to stop her from seizing this opportunity. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and sprang into action. Her knee slammed into Sam's head. The hard bone connected with the bridge of his nose, sending Sam tumbling backwards, and he groaned in agony, his hands covered in blood.

She had to move. Louse twisted round, grabbed the door handle, and pulled it open with such force, she thought she might rip it off its hinges. Wind slammed into her, catching her by surprise. She bunched her arms across her chest and stepped out into the night. Louise was breathing hard, her heart was pounding against her chest, and all she could think about was escaping. She froze with terror when a hand touched her shoulders. She imagined Sam holding the knife, ready to use it.
'Louise. It's Luke. Are you OK?'
She spun round, feeling the wind ruffling her hair, and saw Luke looking at her in the darkness. She was getting good and spotting the difference, and she could tell by his posture and appearance that this was Luke. His nose was bleeding, and some blood had already dried up above his mouth. She leapt forward and wrapped her arms around him.
'I'm sorry. It's all I could do to escape.'
'It's ok,' replied Luke. 'You did what you had to. Please, you must leave.'
Luke pushed her away and shook his head uncontrollably.
'I can't hold him back. Go! Now! Please. Go!'
His words sounded desperate, and Louise wanted to help him, but her life was in danger. She smiled and rushed toward her small Mini. Sam could be back at any moment, and she had to leave.

Louise started the engine, and took a deep breath, and then screamed in terror when a fist slammed into the side window. Sam. Louise quickly moved the car into gear, released the handbrake, and backed out from her parking bay. Her heart was pounding again. The headlights caught her attacker, its strong beams illuminating his frame, creating a menacing appearance. He was smiling and waving, and then ran toward the vehicle. Louise did not wait. She slammed her foot hard on the accelerator and roared away, filling the night air with the sound of a groaning engine.

Sam calmly stepped back into Louise's apartment, and slammed the door shut. The wind went quiet, leaving behind a trail of papers across the entranceway. A lamp had tumbled onto the floor, remains of the bulb scattered across a brown rug. Sam stared into the tall mirror than hung on the wall. Looking back was a worn face. Dark eyes pieced through the glass, and Sam laughed. The reflection laughed back.
'Bravo! Well done Luke. You did it.'
He stopped and leaned in closer to the mirror.
'Is that right. You think you can stop me. No! It might be over for now. But I'll find them.'
Sam pressed his nose onto the reflective glass.
'Why? You ask me why? You must know by now.'
Sam then laughed, leaving behind a mist on the glass as his breath travelled away from his mouth. He stepped back.
'No Luke. I'm not mad. You are. I did this all for you. You Luke. Can't you see that.'
'Stop saying I'm mad!' Sam's voice was no longer calm. With each sentence his tone became sharper and more aggressive.
'They lied to you Luke. They knew the truth about Jessica. She was cheating on you. I kept you safe and wanted to deal with this. For you.'
The aggression was now turning into sadness.
'Yes. I knew the truth and that's why I killed them. They are liars and betrayers. You call them your friends, then why did they lie? Why?'
'Stop staying that!' Sam slammed the palm of his hand against the mirror and the frame shook.
'No! I'm not a liar. I didn't tell you because you are weak. You couldn't handle it. I could and I did.'
Sam stopped speaking and looked deeply at the reflection. He studied his features and rubbed his short dark hair.
'You are a good-looking guy,' said Sam. He smiled, and then groaned.
'Why can't you see it. I did this all for you. Stop it! You can't stop me. You can't!'

Sam then went into a rage. He smashed his fist hard into the mirror and the glass shattered, sending pieces tumbling toward the ground. A distorted image looked back. Sam's knuckles were bloody, and his head hurt. He had to rest. Yet, rest would mean he would drift back into Luke's subconscious, and next time it would harder to emerge. Luke was distracting. Yelling, shouting, trying to supress Sam's desires. It was time to stop him. Luke could have his rest, and then it would be Sam's time. Tomorrow, Sam would fight his way back out, and push Luke away completely. Louise got away this time, but he would find her. Russell would come home, and Sam would be waiting.
'It's over,' said Sam, staring at the cracked mirror. 'You've had your time.'