Sam

The struggle with Russell and been exhalating. It was good to vent my anger, and a fight with Luke's friend was just what I needed. Before Russell arrived, Luke had done an excellent job at keeping me away. He fought well, trying to suppress my anger and bitterness, willing them away with positive thoughts. It had worked, and despite my attempts, Luke kept up the fight. It nearly killed him, but I could feel he was prepared to die.

Seeing Russell brought hope to my situation. I could see Russell was angry, and once Luke saw it, I would be able to escape. This was what I had been hoping for, a confrontation with the big man. When he produced the gun, and attempted to kill Luke, that was my moment. Luke's fight was gone, he could no longer hide his fear, and his barrier broke down. His fear turned into panic, and I pushed Luke aside, and re-emerged. Anger and rage would win this battle, not love and kindness, and I knew Russell could never pull the trigger. He was a rent-a-cop. He had never fired a weapon in his life, and the way he held the gun, revealed how scared he was. It was laughable that he thought he could show up and pull the trigger. It takes a special kind of person to end a life, and Russell didn't have that in him. Whereas I did, and I was prepared to kill both Russell and Louise.

The fight had been better than I thought. Russell put up a good struggle, not going down easily, and gave a few good blows. Louise had ruined it. Instead of staying out of the way, she decided to stop the fight and only had herself to blame. I would have dealt with her later, instead, Louise wanted to play hero.

The gun had gone off, filling the room with a shuddering boom. The blast was loud and noisy, and I knew the sound would have woken up more neighbours. I had been correct. In the distant, I briefly caught the sound of sirens, filling the night air. The sound was in and out, but they were on the way. Someone had called the police. If you heard a gun being fired, you would call them, it was an unusual noise to suddenly hear.

When Russell fired the gun, I had expected the bullet to slam into my chest, but as our eyes locked together and Russell tried to free the weapon from between Louise's chest, everything changed. Louise had moved at the wrong time. Russell pulled the trigger, and in that split second before the bullet fired from the chamber, Louise moved her body directly into the path of the gun. I saw it. It was only for a moment, but Russell gasped, trying to move the gun away. It was too late. The trigger had been pressed, and the bullet launched out from the barrel and slammed directly into Louise. In one moved she slumped back onto Russell, moaning in agony.

Now watching the horrific scene, I could have grabbed the gun, and shot Russell, but this was better. He looked horrified, muttering incoherent words to himself. Russell had shot Louise and would have to live with that guilt. It was worse than death. Louise was moaning and holding her chest, and Russell slid her away, trying not to panic.
'Louise!' he yelled, trying to hold back the tears and the panic in his voice.
'Louise! Please...'
Louise barely responded. A spread of blood covered her blouse and was trickling toward the floor. She groaned and removed her hand from the wound. The bullet had struck her stomach and Louise was bleeding out. Poor Louise. She was dying, and I didn't have to do a thing. Thank you, Russell. You made this much easier.
'Help me!' asked Russell, but I stood watching the scene unfold, keeping my ears open to the increasing police sirens. They were getting closer.
'Louise. I'm sorry. Hold on. Please, hold on.'
Louise groaned and tried to speak. Blood trickled out of her mouth as she spoke, but no words came out. She shut her eyes.
'No! No! Please, Louise. Don't.'
Russell was sobbing, placing his hands over the wound, trying to stop the flow of blood. It wasn't working. Louise's injury was too severe, and no matter what Russell did she would die. Louise barely opened her eyes and tried to focus her gaze. She was losing the battle.
'Louise. Hold on. I'll get help.'
With his bloody hands, Russell tried to get his phone out from his back pocket. His fingers slipped each time he grabbed the phone. Pulling the small black iPhone out from his pocket, Russell smeared blood all over the device. Louise let out a small groan, and then stopped moving. Her chest had stop moving, and I tried not to smile. Thank you, Russell, Louise was dead.