Russell

The digits on the clock read 2.47am. The glow from the display cast its light across the dashboard of the car. Russell pushed his foot down, changed gear quickly, and felt the car launch forward. The Mercedes shot down the road, screeching round corners and flew across junctions. At this time of night the traffic was light, which allowed Russell the push the car to its limits and head for home.

When Russell answered the phone, his life changed, and he felt sick with apprehension. At this time of night he would normally have been struggling to keep awake. When the police officer had called him, he said that Russell needed to come home. Immediately, Russell was alert and awake. All the officer said that there had been a fire and he should come quickly. Russell's heart stopped when he heard those words. He had so many questions for the young sounding officer but was told he should get back fast. What did that mean? Had something happened to Debbie? No! Please no! Debbie. His mind raced with various outcomes, all ending with her death. What had happened?

Over the roar of the engine, Russell could feel his heart pounding. He pulled hard on the wheel and felt the rear wheels lock as he turned the corner. He was five minutes away and at this speed he would arrive sooner. All he could think about was the fire. It sounded serious, more than burning the toast. Debbie would have been asleep. Had there been an electrical fire? Or did she leave something on? He knew Debbie would not have been careless enough to leave an appliance on. What had happened? Russell was trying hard to focus on his driving, yet all he could think about was Debbie. Let her be ok, he muttered to himself, taking another corner at break-neck speed.

He pulled the dark blue car into his street and instantly saw the glow from the flashing blue lights. The assortment of emergency vehicles lit up the street, and Russell instantly felt despair by the situation. He knew at that moment it was more than a small fire. Something terrible had happened. Police cars, ambulances and several fire trucks filled the road; lights flashing, and emergency crews littered the street. What had happened? He raced down the street and braked hard, skidding the car to a stop.

'Sir. You can't leave your vehicle there.' A frazzled police officer approached Russell, his face stern and worn by the night's activity.
'Where is she?' shouted Russell, panic in his voice. 'Where is she?'
'Who sir? Who are you looking for?'
Russell stopped speaking and stared at the house. His house. It was unrecognisable. The beautiful lawn that he and Debbie lovingly cared for had turned into a swamp. The grass was torn up. The flower beds were gone. Worst of all the house looked like a derelict property. The lower windows had all smashed, leaving behind and charred frame. The brick work was black with soot, and water dripped down the building. A small fire was being managed by two firemen, who held a hose and doused the flames with high pressure water. Russell could not believe what he was looking at. The house had been ravaged by a terrible fire and if anyone had been inside their chance of survival would have been slim.
'Excuse me sir.' It was the worn-out officer. 'Are you ok?'
'Debbie,' was all Russell could say. He could feel himself going into shock. In his heart he knew the outcome. 'Debbie.'
The officer stared at Russell and stared at the house. He understood. This man lived there, and Debbie must be the woman they recently loaded into the back of an ambulance. He rubbed his face. He would be the one who had to break the news, and he hated this task. Telling relatives their loved ones had died. He took a deep breath and placed his hand on Russell's shoulder.
'Why don't you come with me sir,' he said, gesturing Russell over to a nearby police vehicle. In his experience he found it better to break horrible news sitting down and away from all the noise and devastation of the scene.
Russell was frozen to the spot, unable to move. He eyes were fixed on the house and he could feel his legs starting to buckle under him. The officer quickly grabbed his arm, held on tightly, and gently moved Russell toward the car. The poor man, he thought. Wait till he hears the news. He nodded toward a paramedic who was waiting nearby, and he waved her over. Grabbing a medical bag, the woman walked toward them and waited for the officer to finish.

The interior of the police vehicle smelled of body odour. Russell did not notice it, but the officer frowned by the smell. His partner was overweight and by the end of the night was covered with sweat. It always left a lingering odour in the vehicle.
'Are you all right?' asked the officer. 'My name is Connor. Officer Peter Connor. Can I ask your name?'
'Russell.' He could barely speak, and his words came out as a whisper.
'Is that Russell Knight?' The officer glanced at a notepad to check he got the name correct. Russell nodded.
'Mr Knight. Russell. I have some sad news I'm afraid.'
That was all Russell heard. His mind switched off and his body shut down. Russell knew his wife was dead. He heard a few mumbling words from the officer. Fire. Tried everything. Dead. Hospital. Sorry.
Russell closed his eyes and felt the tears streaming down his face. He could not move and remained completely still, with his head down and felt the tears fall from his face onto his lap. Russell wanted to die. Without Debbie he was nothing. She meant everything to him and every day without her, would be like having pins rammed into his head. It would be torturous.

The officer opened the door and allowed the young paramedic to check Russell over. She tried to examine him, but Russell was nonresponsive. He started to shake violently and sob uncontrollably. How could this happen? Debbie was the sweetest person. Who would want to harm her?
'It's ok,' said the young paramedic. 'Can I give you something?'
Russell just continued to sob. The medic reached over and jabbed something in his arm. Russell did not even notice. She turned to speak to the officer.
'I've given him a mild sedative. Keep an eye on him. He could go into shock.'

Russell was in shock. This had to be a dream. His mind could not comprehend what had happened. Was Debbie OK? Was she dead? He would wake up and this would all be over. It was not a dream, and it was about to get worse when Russell found out what had happened on this dreadful night.