Chapter Twenty-Seven: Juniper Channing

I walk aimlessly from the pink room, completely out of it and feeling a little strange and out of sorts. I can't help but feel sad, I mean in less than twenty-four hours Evangeline would've pulled the final straw and my parents will be dropped into a petri dish with thousands of onlookers and it'll be my fault.

I squeal in surprise when a soft body bumps into me, gentle hands gripping my wrists to stop me from hitting the floor. "Are you alright, dear?" Eva asks, her voice is soft and comforting as her hands tighten on me. I almost start crying just at her tone, she's just so motherly and warm that I have to fight my urge to just hug her.

"I just... I hate them but they're my family, they treated me terribly and I have no concept of a real parent but I don't want to be responsible for demolishing their lives." I start crying then, slow tears gathering in my eyes and streaking down my face. I don't even know why I'm crying, especially not in front of a stranger that looks so ethereally beautiful all the time.

"Sweetheart, this is not on you. Your family is just reaping the consequences of their actions, not yours."

"I just wish I could love them as I should. I should've had a mother that cared more about my mental health than the size of my waist and I should've had a father who was willing to kill any man that looked at me instead of selling me off to the highest bidder. I deserve that much." My chest tightens as she surveys me with love and care.

She's a real mother, even if she hasn't birthed a child of her own, she is just warmth and light in one. "Come on." She winks at me and tugs me out of the front of the building to the parking lot. It's raining heavily and I shake my head as the rain gathers on my hair. I can see people watching, confused at our actions but I focus on Eva. "You're allowed to feel pain, Juniper. Let it wash over you, okay? Feel every second of it and pour your whole being into caring about your parents and wishing for more, pray to whoever you believe in for reconciliation and break when you realise it won't be possible. Then remember that that feeling won't last forever."

Her hands move from her wrists to my face, cupping my cheeks and wiping away both tears and rainwater. "Just think that in a few weeks, a few months, maybe even a few years you'll be hugging your children and telling them that you love them. Giving them everything you wanted for yourself. Or you'll be reading a book that you love so much. You'll end up thinking about all the amazing things you've ever done or every amazing thing someone has done for you.

Maybe you'll be blaring music in the car with the windows down as you drive down the highway. There will always be that pain, my darling, you can't rid yourself of it entirely but there will be bigger things, better things that overwhelm your senses and set you on fire. So dance in the rain and scream your favourite lyrics, hug your best friend and marry the love of your life but don't you dare let your parents dictate how you live the rest of your life. You are more than they will ever be."

I hug her then, so tightly that I think I might break her back but she just laughs softly and strokes the back of my head. Riley and Saviour are so lucky to have had her so early in their lives. "Thank you." I cry and she pulls away to squeeze my face again.

"Oh sweetheart, you're not alone. I will be here whenever you need me, okay?" She kisses my forehead, winks, and hurries off to her car. Still looking gorgeous despite being drowned by the rain. I feel an entire weight lift off my shoulders and drift back to the cover of the porch, trying to avoid people's eyes but not being able to as Riley and Saviour pop up in front of me.

"She's amazing, isn't she? Trust me, Juni, all you have to do is call her and she'll be here." Saviour hands me a card with a number on it and I almost start crying again. Asa is next to offer me comfort, wrapping his arms around me even though I am soaked through with rain.

"Mac has a thing for her, by the way." Asa chips in and both Riley and Saviour start laughing as Mac smacks Asa around the head. The sound echoing at the intensity.

"Good luck with that, Mac. She's hard to pin down." Riley responds, still in the midst of her giggles.

"I'm not trying to pin her down... that didn't come out right. Would you all leave me alone please?" Mac fumbles, trying to cover his own ass. I think he's thankful that Eva is no longer here to witness this embarrassing event.

"Come on, baby, I don't want you getting sick," Asa mumbles to me as I shiver. I don't have any clothes here and Asa knows that so he takes my keys from my pocket and leads me to my car. I wince as I look at my house. Nothing is broken but there is blood in places - my blood - and the frying pan is resting on the kitchen floor instead of on the cooktop like it normally is. "I'll clean this up, you go and get in the bath."

He kisses my head and I take a wide berth of the main living areas to get to my bathroom. I'm still shaking from the cold so I turn the taps on high, putting in my favourite bubble bath and some Epsom salts before stripping off and putting my robe on. I can hear Asa moving around downstairs and I feel a lot safer knowing that he's here if anything was to happen.

Once the bath is full I slip into the water and rest against the back with my eyes closed. I only brought in my underwear so hopefully, Asa won't be in my bedroom when I've finished in here.

After about an hour, I dry myself off with the towel and wrap it around me as I apply lotions, finish taking off my makeup, and using my skincare products. I stare blankly at the bruise on my cheekbone before snapping myself out of it and roughly drying my hair because I hate the sensation of wet hair on my back.

I put my underwear on and put my silk robe on top of that to preserve some of my modesty as I can hear Asa in my room outside the bathroom door. He looks up from his phone as I step into the bedroom, his eyes darken and I shiver in response.

I decide to be bold for once and cover the space between us, slipping into his lap and hugging him tightly. I know yesterday freaked him out as much as it did me and I want to comfort him, he breathes me in with his arms bound around my waist. "Thank you for saving me," I whisper, not wanting to disturb the quietness of this moment.

"I have never been so scared in my life." I stroke my nails through his hair as he presses his face into my shoulder, his voice muffled by my skin.

"I'm so sorry." He hugs me tighter and I squeak in pain as he accidentally presses on my ribs.

"Oh shit." He releases me almost immediately, the only part of us touching now are my legs straddling his. I reach for his hands but he refuses to give them to me, "no, I don't want to hurt you." He concedes when I give him a look and I put his hands on my waist, trailing them wherever I want them to go and closing my eyes at the feel of him.

He ghosts over my bruises once I let him go and I lean into his touch, moaning gently as he gently licks them too. "I should've gotten there earlier." His lips brush my skin as he speaks, making me shake in desperation. I want more.

"You saved me, Asa, I'm okay." He lifts me like I'm fragile china and lays me down on the bed, keeping his weight off me but his hands still trail my skin religiously. I can see and feel his adoration in his touch and his eyes, I love him more than anyone and I'm terrified to tell him. "Asa please," I beg, his touch driving me insane.

"You're injured." His voice is strained and his hands freeze as he contemplates what to do. I resort to begging, bringing his mouth from my stomach to my own. I open my mouth almost immediately to let him in and his tongue moves in a gentle caress.

God, I love this man.