Chapter Thirty-One: Juniper Channing

"I am losing my will to live. I swear to God, if my husband gets killed by one of these assassins, I'm bringing his ass back just to kill him again." Lexie mumbles as she continues mixing the dough for the cupcakes.

The girls wanted to do something to keep them distracted from worrying about their Riders so I suggested baking. For the last few hours, we've been making all sorts of food, from cupcakes to cookies. I called in and told Indi that I have a family emergency, she's seen the papers about my parents anyway so she understood.

I've been doing paperwork for the café whilst simultaneously teaching Lexie, Cassidy, and Marielle how to bake whatever they want. It's a good thing Indi knows her way around the kitchen and I left copies of every recipe in the back office to help them out. I should be back by the end of the week, that is if everything goes to plan.

"I understand. If Hunter even thinks about getting shot... I don't know what I'll do. God, I'm so on edge." Marielle slams the bread dough onto the kitchen counter with an angry cry. She's normally the calmest of us all but it makes me feel better that she's stressing as much as I am.

"Breaker doesn't seem worried... he did just kill someone at the nightclub though so I suppose he's getting cocky." Cassidy rolls her eyes as she uses a cookie cutter to make some star-shaped cookies for the kids who are currently screaming and shouting in the playroom, unaware of the danger their parents are in.

Nova's kids are rightfully on edge and are watching out of the windows with their blades in their hands. Nova gifted them on Christmas last year and apparently, they haven't dropped them since. Lexie says that they're well trained despite their soft, sweet faces and they seem intent on proving that.

The four-year-old is happy playing with the other children in the playroom though so at least there's that. "How are you holding up, Juni?" I sigh as I look up from my paperwork to see Cassidy with concern in her eyes.

"Umm, okay, I guess? I've never done this before so I feel scared and frustrated... I just want him to be okay." I stick my pen in my mouth to silence the rest of my flowing emotions as all three of them look at me.

"He will be okay, sweetie. Trust us. Rubble is one of our best fighters and he cares about you so much, he wouldn't leave you." Lexie reassures me and I smile with a soft blush. "What's that about? Tell us!"

"He..."

"He what?" Marielle squeals excitedly, grabbing my wrists and shaking me.

"He told me that he loves me." The excitedly squealing then spreads to the other two as they squeeze me in a tight hug.

"We're so happy for you! Thank God we ordered that jacket, huh?" Cassidy laughs. "He's definitely gonna make it now." We all return to our tasks after a few minutes of gossip and we're a little more relax because of it.

This better be over soon because I'm already done with this waiting. All I want is a hug.

----------

A few more hours of mindless baking and babysitting and I'm ready to break out of the house and make the trek to the clubhouse on foot just to see him. I'm hoping beyond hope that he'll be on guard duty next as they swap out every six hours.

We've had Forger, Red, and Rocker. All three of which I had never met before today. I pace anxiously as bikes pull up outside. Marielle and Cassidy wait with me while Lexie pouts in the corner. She knows that her husband won't be pulling up in fear of getting her hurt.

I sigh in relief when Asa steps through the door with Hunter and Breaker behind him. They grab us within seconds and I breathe him in, feeling warm at the sensation of his hands on me. I don't even know how I lived without him before.

"You smell like cookies." I laugh quietly as he lifts me up, squeezing me tighter. I look over his shoulder at Breaker, who is gripping his baby tightly with Cassidy pressed against his side. Hunter is almost identical with Mari and Gem in his embrace.

"Can you stop with all the lovey-dovey? It's making me miss my husband even more."

"I'm sorry, Lex. Bear is fine, I promise. Nova is taking good care of him." Hunter tries to reassure her but Lexie starts crying then, only softly with a few tears escaping her eyes. All three of us head over to comfort her.

"I'm sorry. I haven't been sleeping and it's making me emotional. My husband and my child could get hurt and I'm sat here making cookies and cakes." Marielle strokes her hair back and wipes some of her tears away, mumbling soft, comforting words.

"Lexie, I promise you that everyone is doing everything they can to protect him. You are doing your part, you know Bear would be more worried for your safety than his if you were there. At least this way he's able to be more objective... at least on some level but the idiot will not stop asking about you so I guess that doesn't really mean much." Lexie chuckles softly at Hunter's words, feeling comforted by her husband's care for her.

I admire their relationship and I'm glad that I get something similar with Asa. Speaking of which, he tugs me to his chest again and I accept his embrace with another relieved sigh. "Are you okay?" I ask, fiddling with the zip of his cut and avoiding his eyes.

"I am fine, baby, are you?" I shake my head and tuck myself closer to him, he kisses the crown of my head as he prompts me to explain.

"I don't want you to leave again. I was worried."

"I promised you something June, I wouldn't go back on that. I'll always come back."

"You better or I might just have to kill you." He grins at me, kissing my forehead this time as he accepts his fate.

Good, at least he knows now.