Chapter Eleven: Juniper Channing

It's five am and my alarm is ringing out, normally I hate the noise and consider throwing it through a wall but this time I'm up and into the bathroom in seconds. It's my first day at my new job after we hashed out the details of what my job entails, I'll be working in the kitchen to make the merchandise for most of the day but at the lunch rush, I'll be helping serve coffees and clean up tables.

When we close at five I'll be staying back a little later to help with all the paperwork and inventory, maybe get some more things made to make my life a little easier in the mornings. Indigo may have wanted a business since she was young but she doesn't know everything about it which is where I come in.

I learned a lot from my business mogul parents and my degree so I'm hoping I'll be more helpful than just a baker. I have a quick shower without washing my hair as I did that yesterday and brush my teeth before sitting down in front of a mirror in a robe. I pick up my makeup bag and get to work, even if I did want to wake up this morning it doesn't mean I'm not still tired so the under-eye bags have got to go.

I slick on a decent amount to sharpen my bone structure and elongate my eyes before I tidy my hair into a high ponytail, pulling out pieces to frame my face. If I'm working around food I don't want it down, that wouldn't be fun. I lay my suitcase on my bed and stare at the amalgamation of random articles of clothing and debate what to wear.

I do need to go shopping for some new clothes soon but that can come after the apartment, I need somewhere to put them after all, I don't want to encroach on more of Raphe's space. I choose a pink midi skirt and a cropped white top with my white converse as it's casual and I won't get too hot in it. Indigo said there's no strict uniform and as long as I'm comfortable, she will be too.

I put on my favourite silver necklace and my matching watch before spritzing some perfume, grabbing my bag and my recipe book. I head out to the car, making sure to lock the door behind me. I know Raphael and Romeo didn't come home until about four o'clock this morning and I imagine they are extremely hungover.

Maybe I can score some pastries to bring back to the clubhouse after work, they deserve them after all. "Good morning, Juni!" Indigo seems in high spirits, I'm not surprised considering this is her dream coming true today. Mine too in some way as well.

"Morning, Indi," I call back, heading into the office to drop my things off before bouncing into the kitchen with my book in hand.

"Is that it?" Indi squeals excitedly as she hugs me, looking at the book in my grip.

"The one and only, my nanny left this with me. You gonna be my helper?"

"Of course, we only have four hours until we open."

-------

The store is opening in less than five minutes and I'm clearing up my appearance in the bathroom after we completely obliterated the kitchen making everything we need for this morning's business. I redo my hair, clear myself of flour and retouch my makeup before affixing my name badge and wandering back onto the main floor.

We have cleaned everything and all of the plush chairs are set up around their tables with thank you cards in every place. I made quite a lot in the industrial-sized ovens today, going from cakes to cannoli and I'm proud of everything I've accomplished so far and we haven't even opened yet.

Indi goes over every coffee and tea before opening the door, as I finish cleaning the kitchen from our frenzy this morning. I'm sure we'll improve over time once we've figured out what we're doing as a team and as a company.

There's a large influx of customers despite the small space and we find ourselves inundated very quickly with an excess of customers milling around as we try and fill every order.

We make sandwiches and paninis to order, alongside pastries and coffees so we don't have much time to breathe. By the time my lunch break rolls around, I find myself in the kitchen making more of almost everything while Indi sprints around the shop after every customer. I don't think even she expected it to be this busy but the closest coffee shop is a few miles away on the other side of town.

Most of these customers are from the offices on this block and they're likely grateful for a fresh coffee and pastry for breakfast or break. We've had a few mass orders for meetings and seminars which I found fun to fulfil and I've even got an order for bespoke cupcakes for a birthday in a month.

We're busy until the last ten minutes when our final customer leaves with a smile on her face. There's a large stack of review cards on the table by the door and the cash register has been emptied three times so far, the money tucked into the safe which is already bursting at the seams. Thankfully, Indi and I were able to keep on top of it for the most part but we spend the next half an hour cleaning everything, while Indi tackles the coffee machines I start counting the money.

It amounts to close to three thousand dollars and Indi bursts into tears at the number, squeezing me into a suffocating hug as she thanks me over and over again. "We did it!" I squeal, twirling her around with a smile on my face.

"You wanna take the pastries home?" She asks with a tired smile on her face. I nod excitedly and start packing them up, a lot of these go bad overnight and I'm sure the club will appreciate it. There's enough for all of them after I made the third batch of everything.

I've got enough batter and things to bake first thing tomorrow so we won't miss these, especially not after the day we've had. We do some paperwork, read through some of the reviews before we lock up the place, and head to my car to put all the boxes in. "See you tomorrow!" Indi shouts as she hurries to her car, skipping happily with her head bopping side to side.

I laugh softly before clambering into my car and heading straight to the club. I pick up the first few boxes and head inside, I laugh harder when I find almost all of them basically unconscious on the lounge floor looking mighty hungover. "Juni!" Raphael whisper shouts and everyone turns to look at me.

"I brought pastries and cake." I raise the boxes in my hands and everyone sits up to look at me. I shake my head and pass them around before grabbing the rest, noticing how everyone seemed enraptured by the cupcakes. It's a good thing I work at a bakery though because I've been eating all day, if I wasn't running around all the time I'd say that I may have even put on some weight.

"You are a diamond." Riley declares and kisses the side of my head, stealing a cinnamon swirl from the box in my hands. I don't see Rubble anywhere so I head through the building to find him, he did help me out yesterday so I think he deserves a pastry too.

"Juni?" I spin around as I pass the kitchen, spotting him leaned against the island with a bag of peas on his face. I hurry in and drop the box on the counter as I look at him in concern.

"What happened?" I reach for the bag and pull it away to reveal a rather vicious-looking bruise. "Oh my gosh."

"It's fine, Juni. I got into a little tussle yesterday, he got a hit in but he's behind bars now." I let my eyes drift and find a garish cut on his arm as well. I slide the box over to him and he raises an eyebrow before opening it. "Damn, I love bear claws. How did you know?"

"I didn't. It was all I could escape with, your family is vicious." He laughs, tilting his head back and I gulp at the sound and the look of him.

God, he is so gorgeous.

I've actively avoided thinking about him all day because he makes it hard to concentrate especially after last night but right now all I can think about is... no, you know what, no.

"They're hungover, you're lucky you missed this morning. They are the worst first thing." He winces when the peas touch his face again and I cringe along with him.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, Juni, I promise." He looks at me with sincerity in his eyes and I cave, I nod my head in agreement to leave it alone just as Nova bounces in with a bright grin on her face. "What's got you so happy, Princess?"

"Dad is all hungover and he gets all lovey-dovey which means I just scored an extra bounty this week."

"You're crazy." Rubble shakes his head and kisses hers before she throws open the fridge and grabs a bottle of water.

What does she mean by bounty?