Chapter Four: Asa Michaels

I haven't moved. I've spent hours, probably too many to be considered healthy, staring at the tablet in front of me. I've made it a personal challenge to beat Nova's top score but it is, in fact, impossible. This girl must have endless patience for this game because I'm ready to use the tablet as a frisbee.

I've been here for so long that everyone else has gathered in the lounge too. The meetings are over, the runs are over and now it's 'family time' which basically just means we watch one of Gears' favourite movies and tease him relentlessly the entire time. It's become a tradition now and I find it way too much fun.

The doorbell rings and nobody moves to get it. I wonder if they heard it or if it's in my head. I decide to give up on this level and check if the doorbell rang, if not then I'm losing my mind and I'll need to hire a therapist. I fix my cut from the creases it sustained from my constant lounging before throwing open the door.

Surprisingly, there is actually someone at the door.

Someone is a very wet, very upset-looking woman with gorgeous blue eyes and a massive suitcase. "I'm looking for Raphael." Her voice is sweet and soft with an indication of a good education.

I don't know anyone by the name of Raphael and that's because we all go by road names. I usher her inside into the warmth and she thanks me softly, I tell her to wait while I move to the doorway of the lounge. "Yo! Which one of you is Raphael?"

Runner immediately looks at me and I smack myself, of course, it would've been him. He gives me a look of confusion but his eyes widen when the woman steps up next to me, her cap removed and her hair drenched. "Juni!"

"I'm sorry." Her voice breaks and within seconds, Runner has cleared the room and has her in his arms as she sobs desperately in his arms. I've never met the woman but her cries rip into my heart as she violently grips his cut. We wait with bated breath for the woman - Juni - to calm down and Runner manages to coax her to sit down on one of the chairs, her hands viciously shaking.

"Juni, what happened? How did you get here?" He crouches in front of her and holds her hands tightly as if he could stop the shaking. Something in me wants to comfort her too, begs for me to move closer and figure her out but I stay put. Everyone is so close to her and she's already overwhelmed, I don't want to add to that problem.

"I got the bus."

"You got the bus?" He sounds astounded at that, concerned as well. "Juni, you know how dangerous that was? You could've gotten hurt."

"I had no other choice, Raphael, if they find me they'll..." The fear in her voice puts even Bear on edge as he watches the conversation with rapt attention.

"Who?"

"My parents." The ripple of shock spreads across the room as Runner continues to look only at Juni, his attention never wavering as he comforts his friend. He encourages her to continue, to explain to him why she would be so afraid of her parents. "They sold me, to some rich neurosurgeon and I didn't know what to do, Raphe. I had no other choice, they sold me like a broodmare to a man twice my age, a man I've never met, and called it a business deal. It's all I am to them. Your sister told me where you were months ago, I figured I'd hold you to the promise you made years ago to the both of us."

Everyone is furious.

Their eyes blazing as they stare down the vulnerable woman now under our protection, we're likely willing to murder whoever her parents are or at least demolish their reputation. "Juniper, I would never break that promise to you, you know that. Do your parents have any clue where you are?"

"No, definitely not. I left all of my technology, sold my car, got two buses, and used cash. No cards. After your parents disowned you they refused to acknowledge your existence, I'm positive they have no indication of where I might've gone." Intelligent and gorgeous, my body thrums at the idea of getting revenge for her, comforting her by destroying the one thing that frightens her.

"You always were smarter than the rest of the entire school."

"It wasn't like I had a choice." Runner smiles ruefully and hugs her again. "I'm sorry for just turning up, I had nowhere else to go."

"It is no problem, absolutely no problem at all." Lexie reaches out to her and squeezes her hand. "You will always be welcome here, I'm Lexie." The rest of the women introduce themselves first, smiling happily at seeing another formidable woman join their ranks.

While the women are doing that, Runner pulls Romeo to the side, probably to ask whether it's alright for them to put her up for a while. I don't even know why he asked, Romeo would say yes to any stray who walks in here at any point in time, he's nice like that.

"That's Rubble." I tune back into the conversation, having missed the entire thing, I think introductions were made but I got bored so. "He's the biggest pain in the ass when his best friend isn't here so be warned." Saviour teases and my jaw drops.

"Excuse you? I am easily the best person here to hang out with."

"Easily the most delusional person to hang out with." Marielle retorts and I gasp dramatically.

"I am offended Mari, what have I ever done to deserve such treatment? I am a delight! A pure and utter delight."

"You've been playing Tetris for seven hours." Lexie points out and I look at the clock in surprise.

"Damn, really? I lost way too much time, hey do you think if I close my eyes I'll just see the bricks?" Juniper laughs at that, along with the others, and it's a welcome sound. A beautiful one, really.

"Probably, I'm surprised you haven't gone blind," Cassidy tells me and I shake my head. Me too, Cass, me too.

"Okay but like I was trying to beat Nova's high score which is statistically impossible!" I point out, looking for Nova but not finding her. It's Wednesday though which means she's at that field with Rogue like she normally is even if it is raining outside. "She's not even here to defend me, Riley's not here either. I'm so lonely!" I start singing the song and fake crying, making the women laugh at me.

I would dial it down but the smothered joy on Juniper's face warms my heart so I don't even care. "Would you shut up?" I am tackled around the neck by my personal pain in the ass - Runner - as he slams his hand over my mouth. I could fight against it but I just roll my eyes, he is no fun.

"Let him go, Runner." Bear rolls his eyes and I jump away from the crazy bastard, almost bumping into Juniper as I spin around to stare at him.

"You're getting weaker." Runner comments.

"Is it pick on Rubble day today?" I ask, genuinely confused by the abuse I'm being subjected to. I get the hazing thing, as a family, it's what we do to keep ourselves entertained, but it's not normally this bad. It might be just to make Juniper feel more comfortable, if so I'll take it with a smile just to see one on her face.

"It's pick on Rubble day, every day." Bear claps my shoulder with a laugh. You know what, I actually miss broody Bear that refused to let people talk and was always on edge. At least that Bear wouldn't tease me.

"I feel betrayed, this is unfair. Can we at least wait for Riley to come back to protect me from you lot?"

"You don't need my woman to protect you from anything, she'll be the one leading it when she gets back."

"Don't call me out on shit, Boulder. I'm trying to make a point here."

This is always rigged against me, I swear.