FOURTEEN

I was topless and preparing breakfast for the both of us.

I got on an apron and tie it on its end. I snuck inside Steven's room to get his phone. I swiped and launched Spotify. I opened my playlist to play some morning Lo-Fi hip-hop music.

I took out all tools and ingredients for a nice healthy avocado and ham sandwich. I first sliced the tomatoes, took some lettuce leaves, and sliced strips of ham, along with the fresh avocados ripe and nicely picked yesterday by some farmer I bought walking back home. Steven loved Sourdough bread and perhaps one of his all-time favorites so far, so I'm toasting some slices to use on the sandwich since it's the only thing available in the fridge. After that, I placed them in order and cut it in half. Pouring some orange juice on a glass and placing the sandwich on a plate, I transferred it to the dining table.

Thumping sounds filled Steven's room as I heard him got out, rubbing his eyes and yawning, confused and still tired from all the drinking.

"Good morning." I smiled. Slowly yet unsteadily, he approached me, looking on what I was doing. Elate reflected in his eyes.

"Good morning," said he. "You know, you don't have to do breakfast every day, Pink."

The slight disappointment led to my gut sink. "You don't like me doing breakfast for you?"

"No." He went behind my back, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I meant, you can have a break every once in a while. It's totally fine if you don't make me food."

"That defeats my purpose to serve you," I said. "You are my priority right now, and that means doing everything to take care of you. Whether it'd be doing laundry, washing the dishes, clean the house, stay up all night for security, and also doing breakfasts each morning."

"But I already am being protected by a pink muscular version of myself. It's such a weird thing, but you get the point. You're just worried that I might get some damage, even in the slightest of scars. I will do nothing stupid, you fool. Why do you care so much, anyway?"

My chest fluttered with butterflies again as I flustered concurrently. I broke his embrace and turned to face him, finally giving him a kiss without worry or permission. I had the confidence to do it, and it felt marvelous in the weirdly good way. It felt different, yet soothing at the same time pressed against him. His soft lips warmth mine, giving me insanely good chills. He crawled his fingers on my face as he pulled it closer to his so it would lock in fully, going to a kiss so passionate I couldn't avoid its pleasurable sensation.

My happiness grew than it ever happened before.

I pulled away from the kiss and looked at him with his closed eyes as he slowly opened them, going for a full stare. "Because my purpose of existing would be worthless without a part of me to connect with."

He flustered, it followed with a delight smile.

"Now go."

He suddenly shifted his expression to a questionable one, furrowing his brow, trying to guess what I'm pinpointing at.

"Brush your teeth. Your breath tastes like rotten eggs at four in the morning." I made a malevolent grin.

He sneered and patted on my chest, making his way back to the bathroom.

Lately, I often tease Steven and I adored doing it so much; the more I did, the more he gets mad, it makes him happy afterward; it makes me happy as well.

A few minutes after having breakfast with the human-gem hybrid, I headed off to work already wearing Steven's outfit. Walking at the sidewalk, I made my way to Staples to get some time cards, which I knew that we're almost out of stock so I had to get a bunch. I stepped inside, encountering the soft frosty air conditioner lingered my skin as the room filled with lounge music. I grabbed twenty bundles of time cards and a bottle of purified water. I have been drinking water, which was odd to think of it for a gem to do. Amethyst did it, though she swallowed the entire thing, including the bottle. It's kind of my thing now, to be honest, and I'm loving the taste of the clear, tasteless liquid.

Down at the counter, I waited for the cashier to do their thing. My eyes wandered, looking at the shelf behind the cashier filled with cigarettes and Durex products. Chills ran down my spine since I just recently figured out what the purpose of those things were, very inappropriate. I might speculate how it works when Steven's not around; he might kill me if he finds out.

Don't tell him.

"That'll be two-hundred eighty dollars," said the Cashier.

As the Cashier returned the change, I turned to face the exit only to see a girl of black color with short dark brown puffy hair with what I assumed to be her partner I familiarized. I completely froze at my gaze upon, not knowing what to do but just let her walk inside chatting to her significant other.

She looked at me with surprise. "Pink Steven?"

"Connie."

She twitched her lip to a smile. "H-How are you? Where's Steven?"

I fumbled when the other—Charlie, if I could remember it—was giving me a firm look like he's trying to scan me with his eyes as if some kind of detective. What is his deal?

"He's at home."

She looked at me as though I reminded her of Steven, being in this state—his angry state—that recapped all insane events that caused her to worry about him, and the recent breakup with him that seemed to crush her immediately. Her eyes glossed, salty tears formed slowly. It was completely awkward, because no one was talking for about seconds. It got worse, especially if the college guy was staring at me for no reason. I did only smile, but in the weirdest way I could do.

"I just want," she sniffed a bit, "you know, for Steven to know that I didn't tell him the truth right away, and I'm sorry. It's my responsibility for the pain he's dealing with right now. You might feel mad at me, and that's okay. It was my fault after all."

I huffed. "Steven doesn't want to see you, nor want to talk to you anymore. You caused a lot of emotional hurt to him, and I don't think he will forgive you soon. I want to be there to be his comfort buddy, someone to lean on. He cried a lot, he got depressed, he almost committed suicide because of you. Because you didn't tell him what your secret was. And that makes me... angry."

She went silent.

"I don't want to waste your time, good day." I continued. I gave a stern countenance at Charlie and stormed out of the room. I balled my fists, gripping on the bag of time cards as it trembled. My brow went downward and my teeth gritted, releasing my internal anger at her fault for making Steven suffer the heartbreak he didn't expect to experience. It went a lot worse the more he mourned. It attacked me.

The opening sound of the Staples entrance produced from behind me as Connie's sprint intensified. "Pink Steven!" She grabbed my arm and yanked toward her. "I'm sorry, I really am."

Tears prickled her eyes, and I only reacted blankly, staring at her hand gripped and lifted to look at her pitifully sad expression. "Apologize to him, not me. I don't want to be blamed for the world you just ruined."

I yanked my arm back and continued my way to the Savory Johnson, furious and a bit melancholy.