TEN

I combed my pompadour hair to a top as I fixed my wrinkled shirt so that I wouldn't look like a careless person. I put on some refreshing cologne on my neck and slightly on my shirt. I stared at my reflection and realized how handsome look. It never came to my intuition of this fact. I must've forgotten a lot of my features.

I checked the time on my watch and it was only a minute to eight o'clock—we're already late for his appointment.

I knocked on the bathroom door to check what he's doing. "Steven," I called. "Uh, it's already eight and we're supposed to go. I have to do the laundry when we get back." But he didn't respond. It almost felt as though something's going on inside that I couldn't guess. I worried me, which was a bad thing.

"Steven, are you okay in there?" I knocked again.

"J-Just a minute."

I sighed, relieved. "Okay, but you need to hurry; I called Dr. O'Connell and told him that we're on our way."

I waited patiently as I decided to fix his bed which was a mess, not gonna lie. I distracted myself by doing it, but I kept my focus on what he's doing in the bathroom. I couldn't help myself but wonder what he might be doing: Is he preventing himself from going to his appointment? Why does he have to lock himself from it?

What is he doing in there?

I finished cleaning up his bed and he still hasn't come out of the bathroom, unless something might've happened to him. I banged my door in the most aggressive way. "Steven, it's been long enough what're you doing in there?"

There was no response. Something's not right and I don't like the sound of it.

I took a few steps back and with full strength, I punched the door open. I reached for the doorknob and clicked the lock. When I swung the door open forcibly, Steven was fixing his sweater looking at the mirror.

He looked at me with a questionable expression. "What?"

I furrowed my brow in confusion. He was only fixing his sweater, what took him so long? I snapped out of the awkward silence. "Nothing, I was...checking on what's happening."

"I'm fine, Pink, nothing to worry about," Steven assured. "Grab the keys and let's go, we don't wanna lose our appointment." He stepped out of the bathroom normally as if everything's fine. A quick glance I made, I became curious when I noticed a red smudge on his other sleeve.

"What's that on your sleeve?" I asked.

He looked at his stained sleeve. "Oh, this? It's just toothpaste. You already know my toothpaste is colored red, right? It kinda' accidentally caused a stain when I tried putting on the toothbrush and it fell on top of it."

I tried to catch a glimpse of his expression, but he intended to look away. "Are you lying to me?"

He looked at me with his brow furrowed. "No, why would I lie to you?"

I didn't respond.

He left me behind as he got out. I picked up his bag and took the car keys above the cabinet. We hopped inside the Dondai and made our way to Dr. O'Connell's Therapy Center.

I kept checking on Steven from time to time and I couldn't get the thought off of that red smudge on his sleeves. For some reason, I couldn't be so certain if it was blood, but partially, I'm very much into that possibility. It may be his red toothpaste like he said, but I felt skeptical. Not that I don't believe him, but because he probably was trying to hide something from me, in a way. I could sense that he might be, based on what I've observed so far: his eyes was nervous, almost like he's panicking. Although that's all I could ever prove, I'm not even remotely confident with it.