SIX

THE SAVORY JOHNSON

...

"Enjoy your meal!" I said, serving the food to the starving guests.

They smiled at me as their response.

I sprinted towards the trolley full of dirty dishware as I dragged it inside the kitchen. I gave it to Oliver since he was assigned to do the dishes. I went over to my locker to check if Dad have called me. He was going to send money to my PayPal account and only he needed was my account number. I opened the locker, but my phone wasn't inside. I checked under my other pair of white sleeves, still nothing.

Where's my phone?

I checked my pockets and the locker but I couldn't find it. I, maybe, left it back at the car. I grabbed the keys from the locker and removed my apron.

I stumbled upon Patrick and told him, "Hey, could you take my turn for a minute? I'm just gonna' go to the car to get my phone, is that okay?"

"Yeah, man, go ahead."

I sprinted outside toward my car and searched for it, but I failed to find it; there was nothing left inside. Where could I have put it? It must be here somewhere, unless I might've forgotten back at home.

I went to the nearest telephone booth and dialed my number. It made a constant tinkle as it stopped after it was answered.

"Hello?" Pink spoke.

"Pink? It's me—Steven. Uh, could you please bring the phone to me? I'm expecting a call from Dad this morning."

"I'll just use my running powers to get there."

"Okay." I hung up.

A few minutes had passed and the more time I consume, the more it lessens my anticipation. I still have work, and I couldn't just stand here doing nothing. I kept pacing back and forth by the sidewalk, awaiting for Pink's arrival. Where could he be? I need to give Dad my account number as soon as possible or else, how am I supposed to pay the bills?

An unexpected turn of event, an old lady walked in the pedestrian lane, trying to come across to the other side. She had a lot things carried on her arms and she walked too slow. I ran to get her stuff and assisted her across the sidewalk.

"Here, let me help you," I said.

"Thank you, child. That's very kind of you."

We came across the street and returned her stuff. She plastered a happy grin at me. "Your parents must treated you well with manners."

I returned it with a soft smile.

She then began searching her stuff, she looked as though she forgot something important. I looked at her with wonderment.

"Where's my purse?"

I looked around and saw that her wallet was lying down on the pedestrian lane. "Found it!"

I went over to get it. I knelt to pick up some coins scattered on the ground and placed it back in. All of a sudden, a car drove straightforward going full speed directly toward me. I didn't had the time to react instantly, I just gasped with my eyes widened.

My breath sharpened when it crashed and stopped right in front of me. I was an inch away from the edge of the car, giving me the shock I wasn't expecting to feel. My lips quivered in tension and fright as I began to tear up.

But who stopped it?

I looked up and Pink was holding the front of the car, imprinting his hand on it as it caused a slight damage.