Six.

Nessa opened up his bag and sifted through his belongings. He found that all of his books had been read through. He would have to find some more to fill the time, even though he never seemed to be able to remember which plot belonged to which book.

 He would have to find some more to fill the time, even though he never seemed to be able to remember which plot belonged to which book

Listening to what the teacher said dutifully, Ian smiled politely. He didn't have much to say in response, but he kept up the perfect student persona. That was what the teacher wanted, and that was how he had been raised.

"And even though I don't make it abundantly clear, I do really appreciate having a student like you." He was saying, nodding along approvingly as he spoke.

The man was basically talking about how most students in this school didn't care about their grades or homework, so he was really thankful for the few students who not only did that, but even over achieved. Ian had the best GPA out of everyone in his grade, and he would inevitably graduate as valedictorian. That was enough for a teacher to want to take the extra time out of their day just to praise him.

But to Ian, it didn't really mean much. He didn't do this for the teachers, and even then, it felt sort of empty hearing it come from them. At the end of the day, he was one students out of thousands that these teachers would have to deal with in their career. He may seem like a nice student to have right now, but as soon as he graduates, he'll be replaced.

Ian was alone. No one liked him, and it was almost a wake up call to be targeted by a teacher like that. It really solidified the fact that the only people he had ever succeeded in pleasing were his teachers, and no one else. Maybe his mother, but she had plenty of reasons to be disappointed.

"And I appreciate having a teacher like you." Ian offered a warm smile and walked towards the door.

"Have a good day, Ian." The teacher waved as he headed towards his desk.

"You too."

The halls were pretty much desolate, everyone already having left for the day. Ian walked silently, on the right side even when no one else was walking by. He went down the stairs, and took a left. It was a practiced route, one that he traversed at least once a week.

A welcoming door that appeared a bit more rustic than most of the others sat quietly at the end of the hall. He opened it, entering a rather large room filled with bookcases upon bookcases. A desk that a librarian sat at occupied a nearby corner, and he waved to her sweetly, dropping his old books off in the return section.

It was rare to see much more than one or two people in there, especially after school ended. Although, they did often hold detention in the library, but that didn't seem to be going on today. Even when it was, those students were never there by choice.

Ian walked between the bookcases, searching for the section near the back, which was an entire case dedicated to newly bought books since there usually weren't very many. The library had unfortunately been rather unused in recent years, often only occupied for detention, or for teens to get away with breaking the rules near the back.