Chapter 4: Midnight Lamentations

Mumbo, as the sky darkened, stepped outside and took a deep breath, savoring the fresh air. He let his body morph into a new shape and took off into the night.

Flying through the sky, he allowed the night's sound to wash over him as he sought out prey. He spread his wings, relishing in the feeling of the cool spring air brush against him. Maybe he should take a longer flight tonight.

He soared past the jungle and around the coastline. The cool ocean mist felt wonderful after spending so much time in the heat of his home. The low cry of a bunny reached his ears, and he veered downward. He winced as he approached the unsuspecting target, steeling himself as he drew nigh. He may not want to do it, but he had to.

It was time to feed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bdubs found himself feeling guilty as the sun set. He was a defender from the night! But how on earth could he save the others from the night, when, now, he was of that very night?

He shook the thoughts aside and stepped out into the darkness he detested so. He had work to do.

As he slipped out of his half-house, his shadow caught his eye, and he inhaled sharply. When he'd last checked, his shadow was still pretty solid, but now? It was getting pretty thin. Bdubs looked down at his arm in alarm. He had become remarkably pale and could now see all the way through his arm.

He also noticed that his body was developing marks - he supposed burn marks - where he'd been hit by Doc's TNT trap in his mine weeks ago.

But, what could he do about it?

He grabbed his pickaxe and headed down to his strip mine. He needed more diamonds anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cleo felt her stomach lurch in pain. She hadn't had a proper meal in days, but had no desire to find one. She was disgusted by her newfound inability to digest real food. All she could eat now was raw meat - fresh at that. The worst part? She liked it. She enjoyed the taste of bloody, raw meat. And she hated herself for it.

But she knew she had to eat.

Cleo trudged out to a plains biome in search of food, and let out a growl when she found a small group of sheep. Some small part of her was disgusted by such primal behavior, but the larger part was too far gone to care.

She approached the sheep, and, singling out one, dug into its flesh with her bare hands. The poor animal let out a pained cry and fought her hold, but to no avail. Her grip was too strong for any resistance to do much good. 

And it was then that Cleo snapped.

She tore through its flesh seamlessly and sank her teeth into its body. The agonized bleating fell on deaf ears as she feasted, her rotting brain too occupied with animalistic hunger. Blood dripped down her chin, stained her hands, and spattered her face and arms.

Only once she had eaten her fill, the sheep long dead, did she regain any sense. When she did, though, she covered her mouth and gasped in horror.

She'd lost all control.

How long until she did this to one of the Hermits?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wels roamed the forest near his base. He internally wailed, with no way to express it. Without a head, how could he speak to the other Hermits? Worse yet, how could he defend anyone, let alone the entire server?

But what was he supposed to do about it? Fine a new one?

Yeah, because that'll work.

Before he knew it, Wels found himself fighting every single mob in sight. A jealousy rooted itself deeply within him at their - well - normalcy. He hacked and slashed at every one. Nothing was spared from his wrath. Only when all lay dead at his feet did he catch his breath.

In that moment of clarity, he would have sobbed, if he could. He had allowed his inner demons to grow and take control of him.

What sort of knight was he?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Alright! What's up, guys! Lix here! Hope you guys are having an awesome day, and I hope you enjoyed the latest installment.

Don't forget, I'd like to hear from you guys about what you think everyone is becoming. Y'all have been super clever so far!

Aaannnywaaaaaay, please comment down below, and maybe leave a vote? That'd be greatly appreciated.

See you guys soon!