Chapter 5: An Overdue Explanation

Grian awoke with a start, a cold sweat trickling down his neck. The council meeting still fresh in his mind, he found his heart racing at the implications. The next new moon was in only six days - less than a week away.

He sat up and rubbed his arms, catching sight of Mumbo leaning against the wall a few feet away from him.

When Mumbo noticed Grian moving, he came over and sat down next to him on the bed, passing Grian a tray as he did so. Grian, avoiding eye contact, stopped rubbing his arms and instead opted to pick at a loose thread in his blanket as he took in the food before him.

"Eat," Mumbo commanded firmly. Grian could sense a warmth in those words, though, and did as Mumbo said.

When he was through with his meal, he went back to picking at his blanket in silence.

"Thanks..." he finally murmured. His voice was soft, but Mumbo caught it nonetheless.

Smiling gently, Mumbo replied. "Any time."

The two sat in a comfortable silence together for a few minutes until Grian finally broke it.

"I guess - I guess I should tell you what happened." Grian breathed deeply as Mumbo looked at him expectantly. "All of this -" He gestured up and down to Mumbo's body, pointing specifically to a small blood stain on Mumbo's collar. "- is probably the work of a group called the Watchers." Grian spoke carefully, unsure of how much to reveal. "They're sort of like Admins, except they can't really interact with us directly. They have to leave cryptic rhymes and riddles to communicate unless they're face-to-face with us, which doesn't happen very often.

"The thing about the Watchers, though, is that their name isn't exactly accurate. They certainly watch, but they also like to test people. They set up these monuments with riddles for people to figure out, and punish those that don't behave the way they want." Grian seemed to wince as he explained that last part. "When X and the rest of them went to that temple a few weeks ago, they must've messed up and made the Watchers mad."

Mumbo finally interjected. "I've never heard of the Watchers." He paused. He didn't want Grian to think that he didn't believe him - he wanted to. He really did. So he thought over his next words carefully. "Where have you heard of them?"

Grian froze, then cleared his throat before replying. "My mum used to read me this story about them. She told me they were real and I've always believed her."

Mumbo stared at Grian for several moments before nodding. "Okay, I guess that makes sense." He paused to consider something for a moment. "Grian? Do you mind if I talk to Xisuma about this? He might be interested in hearing what you've told me."

Grian opened his mouth to say no, but bit his lip when he remembered what he learned the night before. The Hermits only had six days until the curse became irreversible, and he already felt guilty enough. If he could help in any way, he knew had had to take the chance.

"Yeah," he finally croaked out. He coughed and cleared his throat. "Yeah," he repeated. "You can tell him." Grian mulled it over before adding, "But, could you tell him - like - as soon as possible? And then have him swing by my base?"

Mumbo didn't understand Grian's motivation, but he could sense an urgency behind his words, so he didn't question it. "Alright, then. I'll fill him in, and then he'll probably stop by in a bit. That sound good?"

Grian nodded, but when Mumbo got up to leave, Grian grabbed his hand and Mumbo turned back around.

"Yes, Grian?"

Grian turned his head away, unable to meet Mumbo's eyes. His cheeks flushed, he mumbled, "I know I already said it, but...thanks for last night."

Mumbo rubbed a comforting thumb across the back of his hand. "Any time, Gri. I mean it."

Mumbo gently released his hand and made his way from the room down to the railway. Taking a deep breath, he slipped into a minecart and was off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Mumbo sailed down the railway, he sent Xisuma a quick text.

Just had a chat with Grian. On my way now.

As soon as he landed back into his base, he found Xisuma waiting for him. Mumbo supposed he must have never left.

"You said you have some information from Grian?" X could have kicked himself for sounding so cold, but there was no time for formalities at a time like this.

As Mumbo explained the situation, though, X's eyes grew wide.

"You said he mentioned Watchers?"

"Yeah," Mumbo. "He said he was told the story of the Watchers as a kid. Why, have you heard of them?"

"Sort of. Only in rumors and whispers, of course, but, they say, Watchers are a group that are even stronger than Admins. Rather than code, they use magic."

"Wait," Mumbo interjected. "So, is Scar a Watcher?"

"No - sorry." X winced. "Watchers aren't the only ones who use magic," he clarified. "Their magic is just the strongest."

"Ah. Okay, go on."

"Well, no one's even sure that they're real, but those that believe in them say that they exist outside our world and can't -" X cut himself off.

"Can't what?"

"- can't interact with us themselves!" X's voice grew as he made his realization. He looked Mumbo in the eye. "Mumbo, I think Grian may be right."

Mumbo blinked. "You think that these Watchers really exi -"

X cut him off. "Mhmm. Now where's that tunnel?"

"The one to Grian's base? Right back here," he replied, gesturing to his portal. "I'll grab you a minecart."

X shook his head. "No time. It'll be faster to just run." Before Mumbo could disagree, X had flown through the hole behind the portal, and, as he ran, he let his body shift into its other form. His frame became bulkier, his arms turning to legs and feet to hooves. He sprinted down the tunnel at a full gallop, his powerful heart pumping quickly to keep up.

The moment he arrived at Grian's base, he shifted back into his human form and dashed to Grian's room.

"Grian!" he called as he raced through the doorway. When he saw, though, he quieted down considerably. "Grian?" he called out softly. "You doing any better this morning?"

Grian, who had been unable to force himself from his bed all morning, awkwardly rubbed a bit of his blanket between his finger and thumb. He knew he had to face reality, but he just really didn't want to do so. How could he possibly face the very real possibility that he wouldn't be able to save his friends?

But, then, how could he face his friends, knowing he could have helped them, but just stood by?

"I'm...better, I guess," he finally mumbled, picking some lint off his sheet.

X approached Grian and extended a cautious hand. When Grian took it, X pulled him gently to his feet. "Do you think you feel up to going back to that temple? I think we might find something there."

Grian hesitantly nodded. "Yeah, that'd be a good place to start." Then, as a seeming afterthought, "Although, I don't know that we have much time."

X nodded in agreement. "The changes are certainly becoming clearer. Let's use the Nether. Grab your elytra."

As Grian retrieved his false wings, a new determination started burning within him.

He may only have six days, but maybe that's all he'd need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Alright! What's up, guys! Lix here! Hope you guys are having an awesome day, and I hope you enjoyed the latest installment.

Man, y'all have been super clever putting everything together. 🔎👁 So now it's gonna get a bit harder. Let's see how y'all do now...

Aaannnywaaaaaay, please comment down below, and maybe leave a vote? That'd be greatly appreciated.

See you guys soon!