Chapter 1: A Strange Place

"Hey, Joe, how are we doing on food?" Xisuma asked.

Joe rummaged through a shulker box. "It looks like we've got..." He paused as he counted. "...eight more stacks of golden carrots." His voice came out muffled.

X nodded. "Alright, that should last us a week or so." He pondered a moment, before turning to face the whole group. "How's everyone's elytra doing?"

Everyone looked over their elytra. Scar was the first to respond.

"Mine's about halfway down on durability. I should probably mend it soon."

Wels and Joe echoed the sentiment.

"Well, then, we should probably stay up the next few nights and grind some exp. That sound good to everyone?" X received three nods. "Okay, then, it's agreed. For the time being, let's stay on foot. We're about to enter a jungle anyway."

Murmurs of agreement came from the other three and all four of them shrugged off their elytra.

"Everyone ready to go?" The three nodded. "Alright, then, let's keep going."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They'd walked maybe an hour when the structure caught their eye.

"Hey." Joe stopped, getting everyone's attention. "Y'all see that?"

The others paused as well, and X spoke up.

"That thing in the distance? Yeah."

"Do we want to check it out?"

X nodded. "We came all this way for some adventure. Looks like we finally found some." He turned to face Wels. "What do you think?"

Wels smiled. "Absolutely."

X glanced over to Scar. "How about it, Scar? You in?"

Scar was grinning widely. "I thought you'd never ask."

X's gaze passed from Hermit to Hermit. "Seems we're all in agreement." His eyes fell upon the structure beyond them. "Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the party drew nearer to the landmark, it became clearer and clearer until -

"Is it - is it a temple?" Wels squinted to try to see it better.

"I think so," X replied. "But look!" He pointed to the outer edges. "It's not overgrown or anything." He turned to face Scar. "Do you think it's magic?"

Scar nodded without a second thought. "Certainly. Jungles are known for their magical properties, so it comes as no surprise that we'd find something here."

"Alright, guys." X made sure he had everyone's attention before continuing. "As soon as we're close enough, Scar -" He turned to address him. "- you take a reading on the magic. If you think it's safe, Wels -" He motioned to him, next. "- you'll scout the inside." He turned to face the last member of their little band. "Joe?"

"Yeah?"

"You'll stay with me." Joe nodded in agreement. "Great. Everyone, be ready for anything. We're almost there."

In almost no time at all, the party stood before the temple. It was beautiful, looking something like a smaller version of Cub's pyramid, but imperfect. It wasn't terribly tall, and, rather than coming to a point, the top of the building was flat. The colors, too, were quite different - whereas Cub's pyramid was an earthy yellow, this place was of the lightest greys. On at least two of the sides, staircases ran all the way to the platform at the top. In the side they were facing was an empty doorframe in the wall.