Chapter 14: Caves and Cliffs

"'Sun and stars are quite the same, only different in the name'," Scar quoted as everyone arrived at the Spawn Island.

Iskall looked uncertain. "Are we really sure this is what that meant? I mean - it wasn't in our clue."

"We don't have any other starting point, so probably," Tango assured. "Besides - we may as well start somewhere."

"Yeah," Scar agreed. "Better than twiddling our thumbs, at least."

"I suppose," Iskall admitted.

"In any case, we should get moving," xB reminded.

Iskall glanced in the direction of the voice and did a double take. Hadn't he been invisible the night before? Now, he was sprawled out in the shallow water of the island shore, a tail much like Etho's splashing about.

"Uh - yeah - yeah," Iskall stammered. "Yeah, we should." He cleared his throat. "Which direction again, Scar?"

He checked his notes. "North-North-West, about thirteen thousand blocks."

The group made their way to their boats on shore, excepting xB who was faster in the water. As they began rowing, they all prayed they were, in fact, supposed to start here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours passed before they saw land again, but when they did, they all sighed in relief. Tired of rowing, the boating Hermits scrambled onto the dry ground as quickly as they could.

Tango helped Cleo out of her boat, careful to not knock her helmet off by accident. xB wandered onto the beach, disappearing as he did so in order to walk. The others are stretched their tired arms, pulling out their communicators to see how far they'd come.

"Just a few thousand more blocks, by the looks of it," Scar observed.

Iskall looked toward the landscape ahead. "Looks like a desert. Hope everyone's got enough water. Because we've got a whole lot of nothing ahead of us."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't long before it became abundantly clear why this was the sun group. The desert sun beat down on their necks and the wells they found were few and far between, many even dried up entirely.

The monotony of the landscape numbed them to time, and everything was beginning to blur together. In fact, had Scar not been trotting just ahead of the rest of the team, the shifting sand beneath his hooves may have caught everyone too off guard to react.

Scar reared backwards and galloped the other way a short distance, alerting the others to the danger. The remaining Hermits scrambled back in surprise as the sand before them collapsed, revealing a gaping cavern, greater than any of them had seen before.

Jagged rocks lined the floor and what little ceiling there was, the likes of which they'd never seen. Something this foreign must have been exactly what they were looking for, and a quick look at their coordinates confirmed it for them.

A shimmer at the bottom of the cave caught Cleo's eyes, and she pulled against her restraints to get Tango's attention, gesturing to the cave floor.

"Oh! Water!"

The rest of the group turned to look, following Tango's gaze. Indeed, there was water at the bottom of the cave, so everyone could make it down safely.

"Should we check it out?" Iskall mused.

"No," Doc retorted. "We ssshouldn't invessstigate the one thing that we've been searching for. That would be ssstupid."