· Changes ·

Follow, vote, and comment down below! (More chapter ideas are welcome!)

<3

***

Mia's POV

***

"Freya, can I ask you something?"

Freya and I are sat on the living room sofa. She's watching something on the TV while I'm sketching some new drawings. 

"You can ask me anything," Freya smiles, looking my way. 

I twirl my pencil between my fingers as I try to formulate what I'm trying to say into words. Freya waits, nodding her head at me as if to politely tell me to hurry up and spit it out.

"Do you ever feel like you don't know who you are?"

Freya's facial expression drops and her eyebrows even out softly. I don't think she was expecting such a deep question. 

Freya pauses her show on the TV and leans back against the sofa. 

"I think everyone feels like that sometimes," she replies, studying me carefully. "It's very normal. Especially at your age"

"How do you get past it?" I ask again. "Like, how do I distract myself from it or fix that feeling?"

Freya chuckles. "I don't think you can ignore it like that. It's a feeling that comes and goes, for sure, but it's healthy to consider why you're feeling that way"

I shrug. "Maybe"

Silence falls over us and the only sound being heard is my pencil scratching against my notepad. Freya clears her throat gently as to gain my attention.

"Is it school?" she asks. 

I look up from my drawing of a mouse and sigh. 

"I don't know. I just...don't feel myself, lately"

Freya shuts the magazine in her lap and I notice a sparkle in her eyes. Oh no.

***

"Maybe shorter?"

"It could work," I reply.

Freya and I have moved to my bedroom mirror. She's insisted on a makeover and I agreed out of boredom. 

"I can set an appointment with my hair lady," Freya smiles, fishing her phone out of her back pocket. "She can set you up with the color you want and the length"

I smile and nod, taking a seat on my bed. I turn back to the mirror and hold my hair up to my shoulders. I've always had long blonde hair, but now I think it's time for a change. 

***

Saturday

***

Freya and I walk into the hair salon at three pm after a quick lunch at a cafe up the road. Josh won't be home until late tonight, so we decided to have a girl's day. 

"Jess!" Freya squeals, hugging a lady with cool purple hair. 

The woman hugs Freya back and then turns around, smiling at me. 

"You must be Mia. Freya told me you'd like to change your hair?"

I nod. "Yeah, I think I need it"

The Jess lady chuckles, running her fingers through my hair without warning. 

"You've got lovely blonde hair. The length is lovely too, but your wish is my command!"

Jess leads Freya and I to the chairs in the back. Freya's getting highlights as I get my own air done. It's her little secret.