· Moving ·

Remember to follow, vote, and comment down below! In the comments down below, you can also suggest ideas for the upcoming chapters of what you would like to see! xx

If you love the Sidemen and want to join the crew, make sure to go check out my other book "Adopted by The Sidemen".

***

Josh's POV

***

Freya and I help Mia pack up her things. This isn't a hard task, given that Mia has very few clothes and personal belongings. 

A shelf crammed full of books catch my eye and I walk over to them. I take a book and scan the cover and the back. I realize it's a book of poetry.

"You like poetry?" I ask, smiling at Mia.

Mia looks up from packing and nibbles at her lip as she nods. She shyly diverts her eyes to the floor afterward.

"I like poetry too," I say, placing the book in a box to take home with us. "We have quite a few pieces at home for you to read if you'd like"

"I'd like that very much," Mia smiles.

As I pack up the rest of the books, Mia and Freya pack up the last of the clothes and personal things. Out of the corner of my eye, I see both girls reach for the same ornament. Their fingers touch ever so slightly, but Mia jumps back as if she'd been burned. Fear is her facial expression for a few seconds before she apologizes, looking down at the ground again. 

"Oh, no! Please don't be sorry, love," Freya interjects quickly. "That was my bad"

***

I carry the contents of Mia's room to the back of my car in the driveway. Once all Mia's belongings are in the boot, I join her and Freya on the front doorstep of Millstons Orphanage where Tim and Joan are also stood. 

Freya gives Joan a big hug and a thank you for letting us adopt Mia so quickly. Initially, the adoption process takes six months or even up to a year.

"Thank you so much," I say, also giving Joan a big hug. "We promise to take good care of her"

"Thank you, Josh," she smiles, tears shining in her eyes. "You don't know how much that child means to me. She's always been the quietest but the smartest"

I shake Tim's hand and thank him for everything. We haven't seen him much, but by the way Mia hugs him goodbye, it's obvious they have some sort of bond.

Mia also hugs Joan and when they've said their goodbyes, she follows us to the car. 

***

Mia's POV

***

When Joan's comforting arms hug me goodbye, I can't help but shed a few more tears. I'll never feel this warmth ever again. Josh and Freya seem nice, but what if it's all an act? What if they hit me as soon as we get home? I start to feel panicked again but I don't have the chance to have the attack.

Everything happens so fast. Suddenly, I'm in the back of Josh and Freya's car on the way to their flat. Our flat now, I guess.

"We haven't picked out your bedroom colors yet," Freya says, turning around in her seat to look at me. "We can go by the shops later this week and see what colors you want to get though"

"Okay," I reply quietly.

The rest of the drive home is comfortable. Music trickles out of the expensive-looking speakers inside the car as Josh hums softly, tapping the steering wheel in tune with the rhythm. Freya sings along dreadfully and I subtly plug my ears with my fingers.

Josh's eyes swivel to me in the reviewer mirror and he starts to laugh. I unplug my ears and blush. I don't mean to be rude.

"Sorry," I apologize.

"I think Freya should apologize. Just wait until you hear her singing in the shower in the morning"

Freya smacks his shoulder.

"Oi!" Josh yelps, laughing and rubbing his arm. "That fucking hurt"

"Rude!" Freya protests, folding her arms and falling back against her chair.

"I'm really sorry," I sigh. " I didn't mean to offend you"

"I'm joking, sweetheart," Freya smiles. "Don't worry about it"

I nod and sit back against my seat. I tell myself to breathe and calm down. They won't hurt me. Even if they do, I could jump out.

My eyes drift over to my door. The child lock is on and I squeeze my eyes shut. My heartbeat sounds louder as it pounds in my ears. The lock is on. I can't escape if I need to.

I feel my legs, arms and body start to surrender to the shaking. I feel sick and I open my eyes when the car stops. I see we're at a petrol station.

"I'll fill up the car," Josh says, getting out.

The slam of the door makes me flinch and Freya locks eyes with me in the mirror.

"Mia? You okay, sweetie? You look really pale"

I shake my head no and get out of the car. I run past Josh and into the station, where I find a bathroom at the back.

Thankfully, I make it in time and vomit neatly down the toilet. 

***

When I come back outside, Freya and Josh are talking to each other in hushed tones. They stop when I approach.

"Mia, were you sick?" Josh asks, his eyebrows knit together in concern.

I nod and get into the car. I shut the door and bury my face in my sweater. This is humiliating.

"Well, you should have a little lie down when we get home, yeah?" Freya says.

I nod again. I don't feel like talking.

***

At home

***

The flat is immaculate.

All the walls and floors are white. The kitchen cupboards shine from the loud lights and the floors are an interesting gray tile.

Josh and Freya take their shoes off and I do the same. I come to find the tiles are heated and the flat is quite warm.

"Welcome home, Mia"

I watch as Josh brings in my one box of stuff and sigh. I feel weirdly homesick.

Most people make orphanages out to be horrible. People think we get beaten and starved for days on end when in reality, some of the kindest people are taking care of lots of children at the same time. I miss Tim and Joan. They weren't parental figures. More like friends.

"It's a lovely apartment," I say politely, walking into the living room area slowly, not wanting to intrude on their personal belongings.

"Thank you, doll," Freya smiles. "Let me show you to your room"

Freya and Josh both show me to my bedroom. It's down the hall, a significant distance away from Josh's office. Their bedroom is across the flat, so I have a lot of privacy.

Josh opens my bedroom door and I almost die. The room is big and spacious with a bed pushed to the wall. I have my own bathroom attached and as Freya said earlier, the walls are all a bright white.

My eyes shift to the big closet in the wall. Freya sees me looking and smiles.

"We'll go shopping tomorrow," she says. "We can also pick out your bed colors and paint for the walls"

"Thanks, guys," I stutter, finally speaking. "This is lovely. Thank you for your kindness"

Freya and Josh smile down at me. Josh reaches his arm around me, but I duck out of the way, flinching. Freya sighs and I suddenly feel the need to apologize.

"Guys, I'm really sorry," I mumble. "I'm just...I'm not used to this and-"

"We understand," Josh replies with a warm smile. "With time we'll grow closer into a family and everything will be okay"

***