19 | Resurrection

"Sweet as sugarCold as iceHurt me onceI'll break you twice

"Sweet as sugar
Cold as ice
Hurt me once
I'll break you twice."

♢♦♢

Day Eight

Never before had Davon thought he'd get tackled to the ground so harshly. By Scarlet, no less.

He had collapsed on his back, and just when he was about to pick himself up, Scarlet pushed Davon down once more and sat on top of him. Her left hand was splayed on his chest and she applied enough pressure to keep him down. Her other hand already held her gun, and her head was turned as she glared at a particular direction.

"What... in god's name..." Davon began as he looked up at Scarlet. His eyes were widened in complete horror, and his blood began to pump in his ears. Both because of the adrenaline rush and because his bodyguard was currently straddling him.

Scarlet remained completely unfazed. She'd peek from behind the car's trunk from time to time in order to look for the perpetrator.

The parking lot wasn't empty, but it wasn't jam packed either. Occasional cars of different sizes were parked around them, and she tried her best to scan her surroundings completely.

"Here's what we're going to do." Scarlet looked down at the flustered Davon. Upon noting his expression, she barely suppressed the itch to roll her eyes.
"I'm going to sneak you into the car. You start the engine, and shoot away from here."

"No." He let out almost immediately.
"I'm not leaving without you-"

"Please, sir. If that person doesn't kill you, I will if you keep this up. Now be a good sport and listen to me." She hissed, and the evident defiance on Davon's face enraged her beyond belief.

"Make me."

Scarlet glared at Davon with nothing but hate, but she was forced to snap out of it when a bullet ricocheted from the car beside her. She peered again, and this time, she managed to spot someone.

It was a female, hiding beside a vehicle opposite to them. Half her face was covered with a white piece of cloth, and she wore a one-piece black bodysuit. She ran from her current hiding spot to another one, but Scarlet was quick enough to see that.

She whipped her hand out and aimed at the gap to shoot. A loud bang echoed throughout the parking lot when Scarlet pulled the trigger, and she could tell Davon flinched beneath her. Unfortunately, it seemed that her shot had missed.

Scarlet climbed away from Davon and sat on her knees, giving him space to breath. She looked around frantically to spot the culprit, but she couldn't find the woman.

A thought crossed her mind and she reached into her pocket to pull out Red's phone. Gray had told her that the agency did track the person who carried it, but for them to assign a hit job on their own employee's client made zero sense. And of course, Davon's father wouldn't want his son dead either.

"Have you ever ticked someone off to the point that they'd want you dead?" She asked when she turned her attention to Davon, who just like her, was crouching against the car.

"Yes."

"Who?"

"Probably you."

Had it not been for the innocence in Davon's facial expression, Scarlet would have thought he was joking around. Perhaps he was, and the blank expression was nothing more than a facade. Turns out, he was indeed being humorous, and that was confirmed when he cracked a wry grin. It was as if he couldn't have potentially died because of a gunshot just moments ago.

"Stay here, and don't move. If you get the chance, go sit inside the car." Scarlet commanded, and she didn't wait to hear Davon's response. She stood up and ran towards the other direction, in between the several parked cars. Her head would turn every second to look for the female shooter.

Scarlet spotted a black figure move again and she shot in that spot. Fortunately, a faint pained groan resounded in the parking lot.

"Got you. Bitch." She muttered under her breath. Now, there was a wide path separating her and that woman. If she came out of her hiding spot and ran towards the shooter, she'd risk being out in the open and handing the woman a clean shot.

And Scarlet did exactly that.

She emerged from behind a vehicle and sprinted forward. Another bullet ricocheted against the ground, an inch away from Scarlet's foot.

The figure of the shooter grew bigger and bigger as Scarlet dashed forward. The poor woman had aimed her pistol up at the assassin, but never got the opportunity to pull the trigger.

Scarlet immediately shot her in the shoulder, eliciting a loud shriek that rebounded against the walls of the parking lot. The firearm dropped from the perpetrator's grip and she took deep breaths to distract herself from the pain of her wound.

"Put that shit down before I shoot your eyes out." Scarlet snarled when she stopped right in front of the masked shooter. She heard hurried footsteps from behind her until they stopped right next to her, clearly indicating that Davon hadn't listened to Scarlet. But that was the least of her concerns.

She stepped closer to the whimpering person and squatted down to be on the same eye level. Despite not having taken off the cloth off her face, Scarlet began to recognize her. Her frustration quickly dissipated to be replaced by raw anger.

"Sir. Please go back to the car and sit inside. I'll meet you there." Scarlet gritted out, and this time she was deadly serious. To add on to that, she craned her neck to stare at Davon. He hesitated. His eyes darted between the injured woman and Scarlet several times, before he finally gave in and walked away.

"Be safe."

Davon's genuine concern didn't enter Scarlet's ears. She turned her entire focus back onto the woman. With each passing second, her anger blinded her. She marveled over the idea of having her daggers with her right now. Oh, how much she would have enjoyed painting the ground of this parking lot.

Scarlet aimed her gun at the woman's other shoulder and shot without a second thought. She screamed even harder than before, and the piercing sound of agony was sure to be registered by Davon too.

The boiling assassin sprung a hand out to rip the cloth from the woman's face, and when Scarlet's suspicion about her identity got confirmed, a cold sneer pulled at her lips.

"And what in the hell might you be doing here, Hayda?"