24 | A Damning Lunch

"You're like snow

"You're like snow. Beautiful but cold."

♢♦♢

Day Ten

Scarlet rested an elbow on the car's door, and her cheek balanced against her palm as she stared ahead at the road. She sat on the passenger's seat. Her eyes followed the surroundings zoom right past her as the car slowly sped up.

She turned her head to catch a glimpse of the less-than-thrilled driver. Davon had his jaw clenched, and his fingers clutched the steering wheel so tightly that his knuckles had turned white. He still wore his office clothes, and Scarlet had on the same despicable clothes that once belonged to Red.

You see, John Miller had invited Davon and Scarlet to have lunch with him at a restaurant today. Was this his way of apologizing to his son? Perhaps not, because if that had been the case, he should have been treating Davon to lunches and dinners everyday for the past year.

As much as Davon wanted to reject the offer, he didn't. His only relief at the moment was that he won't be facing John alone, and that Scarlet was with him too.

Because of the exchange that took place between the father and son just yesterday, things were bound to be awkward. Heads had been turned towards their direction, but that's when John decided to end the conversation. His reputation was on the line too, after all.

The silent but comfortable atmosphere in the car came to an end when they finally rolled up to the high-end diner. Davon switched the engine of the vehicle off, but he remained seated. Scarlet was about to open her door and jump out, but upon seeing him, she stayed put too.

"Don't you just hate fathers?" He sighed to no one in particular. His eyes were fixated on the letters of the restaurant displayed before him, up until his attention shifted towards Scarlet at her response.

"Yes."

Out of all people, Scarlet knew she could relate to that. Thought Davon's situation wasn't as dire as hers was. He wasn't raised with the mindset of blindly following his father's orders, and neither was he trained to be a cruel-hearted murderer. Far from it, actually. But nonetheless, Scarlet knew this counted as a strong similarity between the two.

"Damn. Then we both have daddy issues, huh?" He asked as his gaze wandered towards Scarlet, and she returned the eye contact with a flat look. She could tell Davon was trying his best to keep a straight face. And when she wordlessly turned towards her door to climb out, he finally gave in to the laugh that bubbled to his chest.

"I really don't know how you put up with me." Davon mused as he too stepped out of the car, and together they walked through the doors of the restaurant. The host greeted them just a couple strides in, and when he mentioned his father's name, she directed the two towards the booth that John sat in.