29 | A Scorching Vengeance

"I am the villain of my story

"I am the villain of my story."

♢♦♢

Day Fourteen

Scarlet's body pushed her head out from underwater. She gasped and gulped to take in as much air as she possibly could, when her face rose from under the water's surface. Varying amounts of the liquid splashed out of the tub that the assassin was sitting in when she moved abruptly, and some of it landed right on top of the photograph lying on the ground.

Her gasps eventually died down to pants. She quickly removed the wet strands away from her face, and she clutched an edge of the tub to keep herself up. A cold chill ran down her back and shook her entire form, and her teeth chattered from sitting in the freezing pool for hours on end.

"I love you."

The woman's bottom lip quivered when those three words echoed in her head for the tenth time today. It dawned upon her that she had never said that back to Davon. She had never told him, that he was capable of making her feel things that she could have only dreamed of.

Every time her subconscious forced her to recall Davon's last moments, she'd attempt to drown herself. And each time, she'd fail to do so. At first she had no clue as to why her body, her lungs even, refused to let her die, but then the reason became quite apparent.

Scarlet didn't want to go down without taking Richard with her.

Amidst her emptiness, hatred filled her entire being when she thought of him. He wasn't her father, not anymore. She had even stopped referring to him as 'Father' in her head. Scarlet had long been over that. He was nothing more than a messed up scumbag named Richard, and that notion alone had forced her to take Davon's life.

Scarlet knew she was going to confront him sooner or later. The chances of her coming out alive were next to zero, and she was prepared for it. She even looked forward to it. And the thought of watching Richard die by her hands sounded all the more exciting.

At this, a bit of her energy returned to her otherwise drained form. She let go of the tub and leaned her back against it, when her body slowly calmed down. Her breaths had relaxed considerably, but the state of her mind was the exact opposite.

Despite it all, she managed to uphold her promise to Gray. In fact, he was the first person Scarlet ran to after burying Davon and leaving the Miller residence. In the process, she had left a piece of herself back at his home, and unless Davon came back to life, that piece would never return to her.

♢♦♢

"What are you doing here at this ti-"
"Not another damn word." The assassin seethed, when the guard opened the gates to a manor where her siblings and Richard resided. She sauntered past him and into the house with a large blood stain on her white shirt. Davon's blood. The blood that left his chest when he helped her kill himself.