Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

7. Bedtime Visit

Cecilia and Derek of the Flores pack would arrive tomorrow.

Their visit was planned regardless, as my father let me know, considering the Alphas wanted to hear the diagnosis of their eldest son and successor firsthand. The only thing that had changed was that their visit now had a second purpose. Me. The mate of their son.

Mom made the preparations, ordering patients to be moved out of the North wing, so the Alphas could stay overnight should they want it. Like Luan's presence in the castle, Cecilia and Derek's visit was kept hushed.

Perceptive wolves like Isabella knew something funny was going on, but it was our job to ensure they wouldn't know what the funny business was. I had an increasingly hard time fending off her questions when bringing her lunch and dinner later that day. If I'd taken the rest of the day off, however, she would realise I was involved closely.

As if my jumpy behaviour hadn't signalled it already.

I buried my head in my hands. Tomorrow would be a trying day. Scratch that, the entire week would be a trying week.

First, I would have to face the Alphas of the Flores pack, and they were not likely to be pleased with me. As long as Luan hadn't marked me, the bond wasn't complete. Saying he accepted me meant little if his parents sneered like all the warriors had and persuaded Luan into rethinking his decision. Worst-case scenario: they would threaten to not allow Luan to inherit the Alpha title if he took me as his mate.

If I survived meeting the Alphas, the witches of Winterpeak's coven were next. Dad set up a meeting with them the day after tomorrow and asked me to be present. When I'd countered with a question of my own, asking Dad if he expected me to still be alive the day after tomorrow, after the Alphas of the Flores pack rejected me and likely made Luan do the same, he didn't reply.

Dad wasn't a liar. The lack of reassurance from my father at having to face the Flores pack leaders didn't bode well for my survival chances.

I accepted his proposal to meet with the witches, regardless. On the off-chance I'd still be around, I was curious about Luan's condition. And as an aspiring doctor, I'd do whatever was in my power to ensure a patient would return to health. Even if it meant that a patient would reject me, or drag me out of the sanctuary against my will.

One thing was certain. If all hell would break loose tomorrow with the Flores Alphas, I wouldn't die without at least having seen my friends one last time. Avery and Elise. Werewolves who lived in a village nearby, and Isabelle in the West wing. I'd even risk being asked more questions if that gave me the chance to say goodbye to her.

With a sigh, I trudged to my bedroom first. I'd sweat a bucket when meeting Luan, then some more after when I realised what our bond meant, and I reeked. I desperately needed a shower.

Thankfully, there were no angry warriors waiting for me in there this time. I slipped out of clothes, dropping them on the floor as I walked towards the bathroom. I'd clean them up later.

I liked to use my time in the shower to wash the stress of the day off and empty my head. I didn't get the luxury of an empty mind today. Luan slipped into my thoughts uninvited. Even thinking about him while not wearing clothes made my skin feel hot, my nerve endings tingling.

I cut my shower short. The moment the water flow stopped, I heard another heartbeat in my bedroom. I tensed, stepped out of the shower, and slipped into my sleeping clothes: a t-shirt and shorts.

"Hello?" I asked gingerly, opening the bathroom door just a crack.

I expected my mom or dad. Maybe a warrior, or even Isabella, who wanted to do a third-degree about the East wing.