Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

8. Alphas of the West

On the day of Derek and Cecilia's visit, Mom wanted to give me the day off from work. I declined. If I sat in my room, twiddling my thumbs, I'd only become more nervous, and I already felt sick to my stomach.

Distraction was much better. I couldn't afford to focus on anything else while checking on Isabella's healing wounds. At first glance, they appeared like mere bullet holes. A werewolf, even weaker ones, would heal from those overnight given that the bullets did not hit vital organs.

But they had struck Isabella with enchanted silver bullets. Nasty invention by hunters specifically designed to kill werewolves, but more widely used nowadays. It was especially cruel when other werewolves used them against their own kind.

There was no cure except for removing the bullets, dress the wounds to the best of our abilities, and pray the werewolf was strong enough to have the wounds heal on their own strength.

Naturally, the Isabella Cienfuegos was strong enough to beat a few silly bullets. Even after she'd arrived on our doorstep half-dead, she'd scoffed and said those words to us when we gave her the diagnosis. And she was proven right.

"It pains me to say it Isabella," I said, as I took the bandages off the healed wounds on her stomach entirely, "But I'm afraid you're as good as ready to leave the castle. I'll have to print your discharge letter."

Isabella pulled a face. "See, I wanted to leave this boring, forsaken place as soon as possible when I first got here. But now I don't want to go. There's something strange going on here, and I'm intrigued."

"You don't even want to stay because I, your brilliant friend River, am here?" I teased, trying to distract her, "I'm hurt."

"Don't get sentimental on me, boy." Isabella waved away my comment. "Besides, I haven't heard you deny there's something strange going on."

"Your nose for trouble nearly got you killed," I retorted. "Haven't you learned by now it's best not to stick it in dangerous business?"

Isabella's eyes sparkled. "So you're admitting there's dangerous business in the castle!"

She'd tricked me. I mentally slapped myself for sharing too much.

"No, it's not dangerous," I denied, despite knowing it was too late and I couldn't take my words back.

"Anyway, I will talk with my mom about releasing you into the wilds," I swiftly changed the topic. "Though, we should probably keep you inside the castle for their sake."

Isabella pressed a hand to her chest like she was clutching invisible pearls. "Whatever do you mean, dear River. I'm a sweet, caring woman. And as a sweet, caring woman, I can tell something is troubling you."

She poked at the spot between my two brows. "You're frowning like you're expecting someone to die."

That wasn't far from the truth. I still had to say something to Elise and Avery before I died. I didn't get to it yesterday after Luan visited and had me in a spin for the rest of the night.

For Isabella, I smiled and denied everything. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Isabella took my head between her hands, squeezing my cheeks as she pulled me down to face her on eye-level.

"You know Isabella's here for you, right?" she asked. "If anyone is trying to hurt you, I will kill them."

"Isabella!" I called out, shocked.

She snorted. "You saved my life, so I'd do the same for you. I owe you, and I don't enjoy owing someone."

I knew Isabella wouldn't talk. I desperately wanted to tell her what happened to me, offload it somewhere. But I couldn't. I'd promised Dad I wouldn't tell anyone the Alpha was here, and I couldn't risk it. Isabella wouldn't be fooled anymore at this point if I kept insisting nothing was wrong, however. I had to give her something.