Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

9. A Possession

We entered a room I didn't quite remember being as lavish as it was now. It appeared my mother hadn't only moved patients out of the North wing. She had also redesigned the dormitory in there to resemble the East wing living room.

Each piece of expensive furniture from Mom and Dad's office appeared to have been moved, including the old landscape paintings and an armour statue. I barely recognised the space. 

I barely recognised my father, either. I didn't know the meek way he acted as he ran ahead to open each door for the Flores Alpha couple and Luan, even assisting them with taking off their coats. I knew it was necessary and I could hardly fault him for being this way, but it made me wildly uncomfortable. To see the strong man I knew my father to be this way.

We all sat at a solid, round oaken table. After we were all settled, Dad cleared his throat.

"I will not beat around the bush regarding your condition." He nodded at Luan, then turned to the Alpha couple. "Your son's condition. We have established it is a powerful curse, cast by a witch. It brought Luan's wolf into a deep slumber. We don't have more information yet, but my wife, my son, and I are meeting with local witches tomorrow to investigate further."

"And as long as the wolf sleeps, he can't shift?" Alpha Cecilia asked, looking at her son more than at my dad.

"Yes, I am currently unable to shift," Luan replied.

Alpha Derek scoffed at my father. "That won't do at all. You must immediately use every tool available to ensure Luan's wolf is awakened. We can't afford to have him absent from our pack."

"Of course we do everything within our power," Dad promptly promised.

"Then why are the witches not here yet already," Derek challenged. "Today? "

Dad immediately lowered his head. "I apologise Alpha Derek, but our relationship with witches is... delicate. They prefer not meddling into werewolf business."

"What about the mark, then?" Alpha Cecilia asked. "I see nothing on River's neck, and I don't smell Luan's scent on him. You have not completed the mate bond yet. What is the holdup, Luan, love? It could awaken your wolf."

"I won't mark my mate until I am ready for it," Luan said.

I distinctly noticed Luan saying he wasn't ready for it, and my heart fluttered. We both knew I was the delaying factor. He could have thrown me to the literal wolves by blaming me, but he didn't.

Across the table Alpha Derek turned to his mate. "We must consider whether we agree with this union, Cecilia. It's hardly ideal. The boy doesn't look you in the eye and reeks of fear. He'll be a burden on Luan when he returns to the pack. Not to mention, he cannot provide Luan with an heir."

"There are plenty of ways to be a mate," Alpha Cecilia argued. "River could reside in Luan's bedroom and... support him there after a long day. Any stronger, unmated warrior from our pack would be happy to birth the heir Luan needs."

I felt the tension between Alpha Derek and Alpha Cecilia. There was more to her comment than they were saying. But that was the least of my concerns.

I understood the implication perfectly.

I remembered it from my old pack. I remembered how a pretty but weak wolf had caught my Alpha's eye. He was kept in the Alpha's bedroom like a pet. A pet and a sex toy. He was there for his pleasure. Not good enough to be seen in public with, but good enough to be forced onto his stomach and used as long and often as the Alpha wanted day after day.

When I'd talked to him, he said through his tears that it was an honour. The strong ruled over the weak, and the weak should be happy they were of use. But I couldn't live like that. I wouldn't live like that.