Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

10. The Witches of Winterpeak

The Alpha couple stayed overnight in the castle. I knew because their expensive car was still out back when I checked early in the morning. I didn't see Alpha Cecilia or Alpha Derek again after our meeting, however.

Mom, Dad or Luan must've convinced them to stay in the North wing to avoid being spotted by the patients. Probably Luan. Nobody could order the Alpha couple to stay out of sight, but Luan could at least request they did without getting his bones broken.

I cringed when I imagined how the conversation between Luan and his parents must've gone. It could not have been friendly, and that was to be expected. Me and an Alpha was a weird match to anyone who would hear it.

The Mercedes parked outside was a weird presence at the castle as well. Unlike the Alpha couple, it was one that did not go unnoticed. When I walked into the nurse's office in the morning, Rena, a stout blonde, and Lou, a freckled seventeen-year-old boy, stood at the window, whispering.

"No, but really, who do you think that car belongs to?" Lou asked Rena. "Could it be the witches?"

"Of course not, dumb-ass," Rena harshly rebuked. "Witches don't use cars. It goes against their teachings."

"Then who is it?"

"I don't know! Stop asking!"

I wanted to step away. Quietly walk past the office until Rena and Lou were no longer there, discussing our mystery guests.

Like many times lately, I did not get my way.

"River!" Lou called out to grab my attention while I tried to hurry on, stopping me in my tracks. "Come over here for a sec!"

He gestured for me to step into the office. I made the grave mistake of coming to a halt automatically when Lou called my name. That's how they got you. With a small sigh, I stepped into the office.

"What's up?" I asked, playing dumb.

Lou wouldn't have it.

"You heard us," he scoffed. "And you saw the cars. You noticed your mom cleared the North wing. Come on, everyone noticed. Who do you think it is?"

"I don't know," I continued playing dumb. "And if my mom didn't tell you, it's probably in your own best interest that you don't go looking."

"That's what I said, too," Rena agreed, rolling her eyes.

"You're not even a little tempted to go look?" Lou challenged with a playful grin.

He'd done this countless times, cleverly playing on my curiosity. I had taken the bait before. If I hadn't already known what was in the North wing, I definitely would have taken the bait now.

Perhaps it was better if I did give in. A plan formed in my head.

I pulled a face. "I don't know, Lou," I fake-hesitated. "Maybe, okay? If I can sneak into the North wing after meeting the witches, I'll do it."

"Yes!" Lou punched my shoulder.

Rena sighed, but I spotted the slightest hint of interest in her eyes before I ducked into the kitchenette for a cup of tea.

I could make up a fake explanation later. At the very least, I'd satisfied Lou and he wouldn't go looking. Probably. Crisis averted.

I'd already had my share of excitement for the day by doing this gossip control, and the main event hadn't even started yet.

The witches.

As part of my training to take over the sanctuary from Mom and Dad one day, I always accompanied them to meet the witches in the fields.