~Chapter 5~

I awoke to the sound of someone screaming. Fear washed over me as I thought back to the attack on my 17th birthday, freezing me in place. What if the rogues were back, what if they were hurting my friends?

Minutes passed, & another scream sounded. It almost sounded like Jacob..what if it was!? I climbed out of my bed, & quickly rushed towards his bedroom, at the end of the hallway.

"Jake, Jake open up!" I knocked softly, another scream sounded. It was him! Forgetting manners for a moment, I threw open the door, & felt my heart sink. Jacob was tossing in his bed, sweat dripping off his forehead, his breathing barely there.

"Jake," My voice was pained, my chest hurt. What was causing him so much pain? I made it over to his bed, & shook his shoulders, in attempt to wake him.

"Help," His breathing was slowing, "Jake, no!" I cried, hurriedly mind-linking the pack doctor. "Come quick, Alice. Jacob's dying!"

It felt as if it were an eternity, before Alice arrived, her medical supplies in her hands. She began working on Jacob, while I stood beside his head, running my fingers through his sweat-matted hair. Every now & then, Alice would freeze, before resuming her work.

By the time she was finished, streaks of sunlight were flitted across the horizon, & Jacob's breathing was normal. Her blue eyes were sad, & her hands shaking.

"Averelle," When she spoke, her voice was shaky. "Oh sweetie, he's ill." My eyes widened at her words, "I..if its just a cold, w..why was he in so much pain?"

Alice winced, & shook her head. "No, h..he has lung cancer." I felt a piece of my heart drop at her words, & a sob escape my lips. Alice smiled sadly, & patted my shoulder before leaving the room.

I glanced over at the sleeping man, that had once been healthy. "A..Averelle," His voice was weak, barely there. "Sh, dont talk Jake. I'm here," I continued to run my fingers through his blonde hair, while humming a song my mother had sung to me, when I was up in the night with a fever.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow.

Lay down your head, & close your sleepy eyes.

And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it is, here it is warm

Here the daisies guard you, from every harm.

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

Here is the place, where I love you..

As I finished the last lyric, Jacob's soft snores filled the silent room, bringing a smile to my face. Maybe everything would turn out okay in the end..

(Nicholas's Point of View)

"Its been a month! I want every border searched, & every pack taken down, until you find her!" I growled at my beta, Harris.

"Baby," Eliza whined, running her hand up & down my chest, in what was supposed to be a seductive way. "Forget her, you have me." I saw red as she said that, yanking my arm away from her, & jumping out of my window, shifting in mid-air.

I ran into the forest, knocking down everything in my path. Why would Eliza ever say that to me, she knew of my position. 'Colton, what do I do to find her?' I asked my wolf impatiently, growling at a nearby wolf, to scare it away.

'Why dont you ask your slut?' PColton growled, 'What's there to ask? She's about a smart as a pack of skittles.' I laughed bitterly, ignoring the pain that erupted in my stomach.

'See what you did, Nicholas? Our mate is touching another man, because you played her! Funny, how this turned out, huh?'Colton snarled, that explained the feeling in the pit of my stomach. Averelle was touching another?

That was enough to make my blood boil, she belonged to me, & nobody else. I realized my mistake the day I was informed of Averelle's disappearance. I needed my mate, & I'd be damned if I let anyone else have her.

'Shut up, Colton. I'm trying to find our mate, & all you're doing is snapping at me.' I retorted, smashing a standing tree, by running into it.

After spending an hour in the woods, I returned to my office. Thankfully, Eliza was gone. I needed to find my mate, & I was determined to find her.