~Chapter 12~

*Nicholas' Point of View*

I chuckled as Anna, my 4-year-old niece spun around in a circle.

It was hard to believe that such a sweet, hyper little monkey could be diagnosed with a Heart Murmur. I could still remember when Diana, my older sister had told me of Anna's slight defect.

I had been sitting at my desk, making notes for my upcoming meeting with all 6 U.S. Packs; when a devastated Diana walked into my study.

"Nick," Her voice was pained, her eyes sparkling with unshed tears. "I..its Anna.." Panic overcame my body, & I was at my feet in mere moments.

"What's wrong, Dia? Where is she?!" Yeah, hard to believe I actually have feelings, right? Diana smiled sadly, & walked over to me, taking my shaking hands in hers.

"I took her to the hospital today, seeing as how she hadn't gotten better, &..& the doctor told us that she had a medium-sized Heart Murmur." I had felt as if time froze. Anna had been the saving grace I needed, right after I had rejected Averelle.

She had only been a year old at the time, but she never failed in bringing a smile to my face. So now, hearing that she had a defect as cautious as a Heart Murmur, had broken me.

That was the only time I had ever cried, the only time I had ever let my walls down enough to show my true emotions, & also, the last time they would ever come to light.

*Back To The Present*

"Uncle Nick, look!" Anna squealed, pointing at her favorite cafe, Tour De France. Ever since she had gotten enough strength back in her to walk long distances, I had been bringing her here for breakfast.

"Are you hungry, little monkey?" An adorable giggle escaped her lips, & she nodded her head enthusiastically.

For some reason, I felt drawn to this little cafe. It was almost as if Colton wanted me to see something, or someone. I pushed open the door, & felt the heavenly scent of exotic fruit hit me hard. Averelle, my mate was here!

Colton was howling out of joy, & I could practically hear him screaming; "Mate, go to mate!"

"Little brother, what a...pleasant surprise?" Jacob's voice reached my ears, & I jerked my head to where he stood. My older brother hadn't changed for sure, still the same egotistical bastard he's always been.

What really angered me, was that he his arm around MY mate's waist, & that she was holding a blonde haired toddler in her arms.

"Jacob." I snarled, glaring daggers at him with my narrowed eyes. I most likely looked intimidating, because whimpers arouse from the small child in Averelle's arms.

Jacob's arm dropped from Averelle's waist, as she pulled away from him. A triumphant smirk appeared on my face.

Anna was hiding behind my legs, & her arms were wound around them tightly.

"U..uncle Nick?" She stuttered, her little blue eyes wide with fear. I dropped my hard gaze down to her, & felt it gradually soften.

"What's wrong, little monkey?" I asked gently, brushing one hand through her soft, red curls.

"T...that man is scary.." Anna had tears in her eyes, which only infuriated me more. I lifted her into my arms, & spun around to face my brother, my words dying on my lips, as the child in Averelle's arms turned his head to face me.

My heart stopped, & I growled, "Is he mine?"