~Chapter 8~

*~*~* 3 Years Later *~*~*

"Ella! Please, bring pain medication in to room 128, & have Michael take an x-ray of the patient in room 123." I barked out orders, as I walked down the long hallway in the pediatric ward, my clipboard clutched in my hands.

"Of course, Averelle. Are you leaving, already?" My second-hand nurse, Ella asked polietly. She knew of my predicament, & had actually been the one, who put in a good word with the hospital board of directors for me 2 years ago.

"I'm afraid not, Ashton insisted on taking Aiden off my hands for a little while. I'll be here until 8:00." Ella nodded, & quickly went about her duties.

I let out a tired sigh, & checked my clipboard for the room number of my next paitent. My eyes widened at the last name, & my clipboard fell from my grasp. Lily whimpered in my head, "Regardless of whether or not we want to see him, its in our job description."I sucked in a sharp breath, & bent down to pick up my clipboard.

As I stood once more, I straightened my dress. (Dress in the external link~~>) "Are you alright, Dr. Snow?" Another one of the many nurses, Cameron asked me gently. Her green eyes were filled with worry, as she hurried over to me.

I forced a smile, & nodded my head. "Yes, just a slight headache. I'll be going now." With one last long look at my clipboard, I hurried to the room he should be in, & slipped inside, after knocking.

"Good evening, my name is Doctor Snow. But if you'd like, you may call me Averelle." I greeted, smiling kindly at the little girl on the bed. Beside her stood a woman a few years my senior, & a man, who I assumed was her husband.

"Hi," The little girl spoke up, "My name's Anna Storm." My smile became real as I took in the sweet, young girl. She couldnt have been much older than Aiden.

"What seems to be the matter, Miss Anna?" She giggled when I said 'Miss', making her mother & father smile gratefully at me. "Anna has been sick for a few weeks now, & no one has been able to tell us what's wrong with her." Anna's mother sighed, standing up to brush her daughter's hair back.

I frowned slightly, "I'm sorry to here that, I promise to do everything in my power to help her." Once again, her parents smiled at me, & I felt relieved that it was them, rather than who I thought would be in here.

"So Miss Anna," I turned to address her, "Would you mind telling me, what's bothering you?" She nodded, her bright red curls bouncing.

"I cant run around anymore at the park, & mommy says I fainted last night during dinner." I nodded, & began running the usual tests on her. Ears seemed to be find, lower back was fine, wait, her heart beat wasnt normal.

Her parents must've seen the look on my face, because they sent me looks of alarm. "Anna sweetie, I need you to come with me to the x-ray room. Mr. & Mrs. Storm, would you please follow us?" They nodded, & followed me to the x-ray room, where Michael was reading some x-rays.

"Dr. Snow, to what do I owe this pleasent visit?" He asked sarcastically, looking up as we entered. "I've brought my new friend & her parents along, to have an x-ray done on her chest." I explained.

Michael's eyes widened as he looked at Anna, & he quickly began to prepare the x-ray machine. I turned back to Anna, & held out my hand for her. "Sweetie, I need you to lay down as still as possible on this table, so that we can see what's wrong." Anna nodded, & took my hand, a scared look in her eyes, as she layed down.

"Dont worry, baby girl. This isnt going to hurt." Her father comforted her, as Michael took her x-rays. Once he was finished, I led them back to their room, before returning to look at Anna's x-rays.