9. Gift

-Arch-

-Arch-

Tilly and I decided not to give Jaden hard time for being so sad. We both could feel how much he missed Oliver already as we were driving back home, sitting in our seats in complete silence. It felt wrong not having Oliver with us, even for me. The Beta spirit in me was anxious since it was my duty to keep the pack together and safe, and as a friend, I missed his company.

And I needed him to take care of Jack.

I turned to look out the window, secretly rubbing my arm. It was still aching, but I never told anyone. It wasn't the spot where it had been cut off. It was the spot I got shot. Obviously, there was no poison or a wound or even a scar left of the incident, but it still hurt. But what hurt more was Jack's refusal to talk to me.

I understood his reasons. I understood he was not well. I understood I'd hurt him. I understood he needed time. I understood it all, but...

I just wanted to tell him how sorry I was about everything and thank him for saving my life. I wanted to know why he never said anything. Why he let me believe he thought I was the lowest scum on earth? Why was I the one he wanted as his mate?

Why did he act like he hated me?

I let out a silent sigh, trying to stop that loop of questions I'd had in my head ever since I learned the truth about him. But there was still one more question. The one I desperately needed an answer to.

Could he be my mate?

If there was a chance that I'd consider him as my mate, Henry had ruined it. It was him I'd seen in Jack's eyes every time I looked at him. I'd thought I knew Jack, what kind of person he was, but the truth was... I had never even met the real him.

My stomach turned unpleasantly, making me retreat deeper into myself. The warnings were growing worse again... It was so goddamn hard to focus on anything. I was hardly able to sleep, and eating was pure torture since all I wanted to do was throw up. I did my best to not show how sick I was because we all knew the danger we were in, so there was no point in making anyone worried over my condition.

But this one was worse. I could already tell. I was shivering, the cold sweat piling up on my forehead. By the time we reached our town, I felt so dizzy I wasn't sure if I could get out of the car.

Tilly parked in front of her home, and they both got out. I tried to follow them without throwing up or fainting. The second I tried to stand, my legs gave up, and I found myself on my knees, staring at the white snow under my hands.

"Arch!"

They both were next to me in a heartbeat, helping me up.

"What's wrong?" Tilly asked.

"You're completely white," Jaden muttered in worry.

"Arch? Can you hear me?" Tilly asked.

I forgot to answer her when I suddenly saw scorched land under my feet. It was only for a brief second, so I wasn't sure if my eyes were doing tricks on me.