27. Home

-Jack-

-Jack-

I woke up nervous and restless that Monday morning. It was eight already, so Arch was probably at school already... He wouldn't have tried to visit me so early, right? Still, I got out of the bed and without getting dressed, I marched to my front door and yanked it open. No cookies...

I sighed and then froze. Why was I so disappointed...? Oh, I knew why, but I wasn't ready to admit it to myself. Hell no! I had no reason to be disappointed! It was just a bag of cookies... Though that meant he would bring them when I was awake, so I'd get to... No! I was not going to talk to him!

I slammed the door shut and cursed myself. I was supposed to keep him at bay, not let him in. It didn't matter that he was my mate and willing to get to know me and bring me cookies and... and keep trying no matter how hard I tried to push him away... and looking so goddamn adorable when he got all awkward and...

With another sigh, I leaned against the wall and stared at the floor.

"Stay strong. Do not let the shadows consume you."

I placed my hand on my chest. I could feel the shadows squirming inside me again. Consuming me. Was it really me who wanted Arch to stay away... or the enemy? Henry had used my mate as a weapon against me to keep me weak and scared. He kept showing me those horrible nightmares, planting all those sickening images in my head. All those times he forced me to watch Arch die in my arms... by my own hand...

"The enemy didn't choose you by chance."

Why did they choose me? Why was I picked to carry the shadows from the old world inside me? I was... nothing. Just a runt of an Alpha with a broken spirit.

"Stay strong."

I shot up and stared around. I could've sworn I actually heard his voice this time. I wanted to call out to him, but kept my mouth shut. He was taking big risks because of me, and I didn't want to blow his cover.

But I so needed answers. I was desperate for answers. Apparently, all I could do was stay strong.

There was nothing for me to do, but I tried my best to spend the time. I was definitely not waiting for anything. I tried to remind myself of that every time I peered at the clock. Eventually, my nervousness started getting on my nerves, so I decided to go out for a walk.

Being in the forest eased my mind. I spent at least an hour just roaming around without destination and then visited Ina at her barn. Her mate was there as well, enjoying his day off by fixing fences. I offered my help since I had nothing better to do. That was how I spent another hour, but the job was done faster than I'd hoped.

It was still only two in the afternoon...

And again, I cursed myself for caring what time it was.

I left the barn, wondering if the lake was warm enough for a quick swim. I went to check and learned the answer was hell no. With freezing toes, I started heading back home.