34. Scary

-Tilly-

-Tilly-

Out of all the coolest things in this world, I now had the Strength of a god! That was... That was so...!

Overwhelming.

"I think I'll..." I muttered out loud, but no one seemed to notice me speaking. Everyone was busy talking with the gods, trying to pry more information out of them.

That suited me well. I inched my way out of the living room, but before I could vanish behind the wall, Jaden made eye contact with me. I froze, but he gestured for me to keep moving, and turned to look away. The Alpha's eyes were always watching.

With a relieved sigh, I left the group and sneaked into my bedroom. I closed the door and leaned against it, keeping my eyes closed and head empty. It was so cool to have all these gifts, and the bow was amazing and the fact that I couldn't be harmed was even more amazing, but...

Holy shit was it much to handle... Part of me wished Mom would force us to stay somewhere hidden and never let us take any part in this war. But I was a Beta now. A seventeen-year-old Beta, but a Beta. A protector of this pack. No... of this land.

"Come on... You're stronger than this..." I whispered to myself.

I opened my eyes and looked out the window. I stared at the forest for a moment, trying to find my balance.

No matter how cool things were, I really wished we could be just regular teenagers. It felt like a lifetime ago when Jaden, Arch, and I were still fooling around, annoying as many people as we possibly could. I wanted that back. I wanted to go back to that time when our biggest fear was getting caught by Ryder. Not by possessed Ryder. Just Ryder.

Slowly, I walked to the window and quietly pushed it open. The cool air helped a bit.

I just wanted to be a girl with a crush on the hot guy in her chemistry class. But no. I was part of Cerberus, a girl with super strength and a bow called Spirit. A weapon in a war caused by someone no one knew.

I let out the deepest sigh and leaned against the wall. As I stared into nothingness, a swirl of black dust appeared a few feet away in the middle of the melting snow. I straightened my posture just before Ben stepped out of it, giving me a friendly smile. He was no longer wearing his armor, just a brown hoodie and rugged jeans.

"Miss Ackley," he nodded and stopped.

"Bob," I nodded back, and he laughed.

At least I could have that one fleeting moment to pretend everything was back to normal. Ignoring the fact that the guy just stepped out of thin air.

"You seem troubled," he said, watching me closely, his smile turning soft.

"And you seem to be stalking me," I retorted.